Prescot Cables vs 1874 Northwich | 1874 Northwich F.C.

Prescot Cables vs 1874 Northwich



For the second time in four days 1874 conceded a late, late goal in an FA Cup tie to disappoint their faithful supporters.

However unlike on Saturday, the late goal at Hope Street on Tuesday resulted in 1874 exiting the Cup competition as well as missing out on a tie in the next round at FC United of Manchester.

Unfortunately for 1874, top scorer Matty Beadle missed this replay due to an injury and he was replaced by Dave Short whilst Rick Bailey returned to the starting line up with Sakeel Abdullah on the bench.

1874 started the game at a high pace and took the game to their hosts and in the first ten minutes Ward and Short combined twice to create good chances for Brandon with his shot producing a corner and then a good opportunity for Short came to nothing as poor control negated the chance.

Prescot had their first chance of the game after 12 minutes but Stoker’s good effort was well saved by Conkie. Then just two minutes later with 1874 on the offensive a long ball from the Prescot defence nearly brought the first goal as Conkie, well out of his area, fluffed his kick and created another opportunity for Stoker but his effort from wide out at an open goal was well defended by Mitchell.

This then became the pattern of the first half – 1874 on the attack with Prescot causing real problems on the break.

Paul Connor was proving to be a real threat for 1874 and his tireless work ethic created opportunities in attack whilst he also put in a good shift in defending. Connor made an opportunity for Bailey but his shot flashed narrowly wide and then Connor and Aston combined well to give Brandon a scoring chance but his effort went narrowly wide of the target.

The game was switching from end to end and whilst 1874 had more possession, their defence had to stay alert because Prescot were so threatening on their quick breaks. For 1874 Thomas and Aston were outstanding at the heart of their defence. Unfortunately, keeper Conkie sustained an injury just before the break and whilst he did continue, he was clearly troubled.

The second half started with both sides searching for the opening goal and Brandon came the nearest on 49 minutes but having controlled the ball well his shot went wide.

1874 continued to press forward but they fell behind in the 57th minute when another promising attack was broken up and the ball was swiftly moved forward by the hosts to create a simple chance for Doran slot the ball home from ten yards.

Bailey and Connor had chances but good defending by the home defence prevented an equaliser. Then in the 63rd minute after the introduction of substitute Abdullah, a shot from Ward was handled in the box and a penalty was awarded. Matty Ward took the kick but his shot was easily saved to the dismay of him, his team mates and the 1874 supporters.

An injury to Aston resulted in Josh Crofts coming on as a substitute and manager Street once again changed the formation to 3-5-2. It nearly had the wrong effect when Prescot hit the bar with a mis-hit shot but then 1874 quickly created two good chances of their own as they pushed forward but Brandon’s square pass across the box was cleared and then a long ball out of defence found Crofts who advanced into the box and despite the attentions of two Prescot defenders and their keeper he manage to hook the ball into the net for a deserved equaliser.

1874 pressed for the winner but then in the 90th minute they conceded another goal which was similar to the first in as much as their attack was broken up and Prescot moved the ball quickly and effectively forward to allow Stoker the opportunity for his second goal to win the tie.

Att 291


Date Time League Season
Tue 2 Sep 2014 7:45 pm F.A. Cup 2014/15


Volair Park
31 Eaton St, Prescot L34 6HD, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Prescot Cables022
1874 Northwich011

Item added to cart.
0 items - £0.00