Abbey Hey vs 1874 Northwich | 1874 Northwich F.C.

Abbey Hey vs 1874 Northwich





1874 Northwich FC progressed to the quarter finals of the MACRON CUP Competition with a convincing performance at Abbey Hey and although the managers and supporters would have left the ground happy to have secured a good win there would also have been some disappointed that 1874 hadn’t scored more goals in a game that they dominated for large periods.

The game started amid heavy rain which could have affected the way the game may have been played but in the end it turned out to be a “full on” cup tie which became quite feisty at times.

The first chance of the game nearly fell to the hosts in the 4th minute but 1874’s keeper Dane Rigby anticipated the danger early and came out of his area to clear the ball. Three minutes later and 1874 took the lead with a “picture book” goal as an inch perfect free kick from Lucas Weir into the area was met perfectly by Kazim Waite-Jackson and his bullet header gave the keeper no chance.

Abbey Hey started to try and get back on terms  but 1874’s defence looked strong and 1874 almost increased their lead when the same combination as for the first goal almost repeated the ending but the effort was well saved.

1874’s midfield were being well served by skipper Matt Woolley and Sam Hare who along with Weir combined to create more scoring chances for 1874 and the latter just failed to add  the second goal when his strong shot just went over the bar and minutes before the interval  1874 had two more chances but Kennerley and McGowan just couldn’t apply the final touch.

HT 0-1

At the start of the second half Abbey Hey immediately showed their intentions of trying to level the tie and just one minute in they were thwarted from doing so as a goal bound shot was deflected for a corner,

1874 responded with a good period of attacking play and unselfish play by McGowan presented Waite Jackson on two occasions to increase their lead with only the keeper to beat but both chances were missed.

However just past the hour mark 1874 did score the “much-needed” second goal when Pritchard planted a firm header into the net meeting a cross from Kennerley.

A goal by Kennerley in the 67th minute effectively made it “game over” as he finished a good breakaway move that involved Woolley and Russell.

However, three minutes later after some poor 1874 defending Abbey Hey scored what was effectively a consolation goal and the final action of the afternoon saw Waite Jackson score his second of the afternoon applying a simple tap in following another breakaway and another unselfish pass from McGowan to ensure 1874’s progress in the competition.

1874:Rigby; Tucker; Jones; Pritchard; Russell; Waite-Jackson; Weir; Woolley (c), McGowan, Hare & Kennerley Subs: Ormrod, Meadowcroft, Koral, Gardner & Winthrop


Date Time League Season Attendance
Sat 8 Dec 2018 3:00 pm Macron Challenge Cup 2018/19 132


The Abbey Stadium
43 Goredale Ave, Manchester M18 7HD


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Abbey Hey011
1874 Northwich134


RefereeAssistant Referee 1Assistant Referee 2
Christopher PorterBilal MoosaEmily Carney

KO 8 61 63 67 76 89 89 FT
Item added to cart.
0 items - £0.00