Litherland REMYCA vs 1874 Northwich | 1874 Northwich F.C.

Litherland REMYCA vs 1874 Northwich




By Garry Clarke


 Losing in the Hallmark Security League for the first time since October 2nd, 1874 Northwich’s nine game unbeaten run came to a disappointing end at Litherland Sports Park.

 A lackluster performance, especially in the first half, saw 1874 struggle to break down their hard working opponents. Allowing 1874 to have possession and pass the ball across the pitch in front of their two banks of four, Litherland were content to sit back and when 1874 attempted to move forward pick off passes and hit their visitors on the break.

 It was from such a break that Litherland opened the scoring in the 25th minute. 1874 surrendered possession far too easily on the half way line, breaking swiftly down the left flank Declan Gregson delivered the ball into the 1874 penalty area where Paul Foy flicked it past James Coates into the net.

 Five minutes later the ball was given away on the opposite side of the pitch allowing Colin Quirk to break, Coates managed to save his shot from outside the area, unable to hold onto the ball Coates was scrambling to regain his feet as Lennon Whewell blasted the rebound over the bar.

 The first half ended in controversy.

 Under pressure from several 1874 attackers and surrounded by team mates, Litherland goalkeeper Ben Morrow pawed away a corner from under his cross bar. During the ensuing goalmouth scramble the ball fell to Scott McGowan, as the 1874 hitman struck the ball, drilling it through a packed six yard box into the net, referee Anthony Ball sounded his whistle for half time.

 Ruling out the score, amidst confusion on and off the pitch Ball claimed he had blown for a foul on Morrow although he also told 1874 co-manager Paul Bowyer he had whistled for half time.

 With recent signing Mike Koral making his league debut in green and black as a half time substitute, 1874 started the second half in a livelier fashion, although Litherland went close to doubling their advantage in the opening minutes, Whewell shooting inches wide of the target following a defensive mix up.

 1874 started to come into the game with Koral having an effort cleared off the line by Stephen King, while Lucas Weir unleashed a shot from 35 yards which Morrow did well to push away for a corner.

 1874 drew level in the 52nd minute when Mark Jones headed home from a corner despite the best efforts of Jake Connor  who acrobatically cleared the ball from the goalmouth, fortunately for 1874 an eagle eyed linesman had spotted the ball had crossed the line before the Litherland captain’s intervention.

 The home side restored their lead in the 70th minute. Quirk won the ball in midfield, he released Whewell who clotted the ball past Coates from the edge of the area.

 1874 dominated the final stages without breaking down Litherland’s scrambling defence, although Koral clipped the post with a shot and in stoppage time drove the ball across the face of goal just out of the reach of a colleague sliding in at the far post.

 LITHERLAND – Morrow, Foy, Connor (Stewart 66), Dobson, King, Crist, Scott (Cato 29), Hamilton, Whewell, Quirk, Gregson. Subs not used Sheild, Colburn, Murphy.

 1874 – Coates, Connor, Russell, Pritchard, Jones, Weir, Gardner (Koral ht), M Woolley (Irlam 77), McGowan, Hare, Kennerley. Subs not used Ormrod, Waite-Jackson, Stevenson.

GOALS  Litherland – Foy 25, Whewell 70       1874 – Jones 52
ATTENDANCE 148                               REFEREE A Ball



Date Time League Season Attendance
Sat 22 Dec 2018 3:00 pm Hallmark Security League Premier 2018/19 148


Litherland Sports Park
Litherland Sports Park, Boundary Road, Liverpool, Merseyside. L21 7LA


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Litherland REMYCA112
1874 Northwich011


RefereeAssistant Referee 1Assistant Referee 2
Anthony BallJonathan ChadwickRoss Woodcock

KO 45 52 62 77 FT
Item added to cart.
0 items - £0.00