Ossett Town vs 1874 Northwich | 1874 Northwich F.C.

Ossett Town vs 1874 Northwich




OSSETT TOWN 0 V 0 1874 NORTHWICH FC (after extra time)


1874’s fantastic and memorable FA Cup run finally came to an end when they lost a nerve racking penalty shootout in their replay in Yorkshire on Tuesday evening.

After the memorable and exciting first game between these two evenly matched sides on Saturday it was a surprise to those attending this replay that after 120 minutes neither side had managed to score a goal but that isn’t to say that the game lacked action. Oh no! far from it as right from the start of the game both sides were clearly focused on doing everything they could to win the tie to see them line up against Solihull Moors in the next round.

Only two minutes into the game, Ossett’s fullback was given a yellow card after a reckless foul on 1874’s Jake Parker and it seemed obvious that this was going to be a challenging cup tie in every sense of the word.

The home side started the better and created two early chances but their captain – Alex Peterson (who had scored both their goals in the game last Saturday) shot wide with his first effort and then his second went well over the bar.

When 1874 came into the game soon after Taylor Kennerley also had two chances -firstly he was sent clear by an astute pass from McGowan but could only succeed in hitting his shot wide and then minutes later his second chance following a pass from Whitlock was easily saved by the home keeper.

The next opportunity fell to Ossett but Hancock’s effort was mishit from just five yards out but this certainly let 1874 know that their opponents were up for the game and after 25 minutes the same player again missed the target when well placed to have done better.

Three minutes later and 1874 had the first corner of the game and a planned move on this occasion didn’t work and in fact allowed Ossett to mount a quick breakaway up field but once again Peterson wasn’t able to test Greg Hall as the opportunity was wasted.

Whilst the game was being played at a reasonable tempo neither side was having much success in breaking down their opponents resolute defences although just before half time Jack Lever combined well with McGowan but the usually deadly marksman pulled his shot well wide of the target and son the halftime whistle arrived with the score still nil nil

On the resumption it was once again the home side who started the strongest and after 48 minutes 1874 needlessly lost possession in their own penalty area and were fortunate not to fall behind as Ossett couldn’t find the target from just 8 yards out.

After this 1874 started to apply concerted pressure on Ossett’s defence when Kennerley neatly provided another shooting opportunity for Parker but once again the effort was wide but a minute later after an interchange with Kennerley and Pritchard down the left hand side finished with Kennerley firing wide.

The sides then exchanged scoring opportunities as first Ossett nearly benefitted from a mistake in the 1874 defence but Ridley scoffed his effort and the ball went well wide of the target and then Kennerley had a good effort well saved by Overton in the Ossett goal.

1874 appeared to be gaining a firmer control of the game as their opponents, as was the case on Saturday, appeared to be running out of steam. Jake Parker worked a quick one-two with McGowan but this effort lacked power and was easily saved.

The crowd of 342 were certainly being well entertained in this gripping replay and all that was lacking was a goal and that in part was down to some excellent goalkeeping by Greg Hall for 1874 and Leigh Overton for Ossett. Indeed just before the final whistle Overton saved well from Waite-Jackson and Paul Connor to ensure that this tie would go into extra time

During extra time Kennerley continued his good work foraging down the flank and trying to create chances for his colleagues – from one Waite-Jackson’s effort was easily saved and from another McGowan saw a good opportunity go wide.

But the extra time period was certainly not all one way as Hall had to make a triple save to stop the opening goal being scored by the host side.

1874 had another couple of chances but like their hosts they failed to seriously test Overton and so after 120 minutes this replay remained locked at nil nil and so the dreaded “penalty shootout” was called upon to settle the tie and to the delight of Ossett and the distress of 1874 Ossett came out on top by virtue of FIVE successful penalties to the FOUR scored by 1874 much to the disappointment of everyone at 1874.

But what must not be forgotten is the great run in this season’s competition by the players and management and the fact that more wonderful and memorable history has been achieved

1874: Hall; Connor; Lee Jackson; Pritchard’; Meadowcroft; Parker; Whitlock; Lever; McGowan; Jones & Kennerely


Date Time League Season Attendance
Tue 3 Oct 2017 7:45 pm F.A. Cup 2017/18 342


Prospect Road Ossett West Yorkshire WF5 9HA


Club1st Half2nd HalfET 1st HalfET 2nd HalfPenaltiesGoals
Ossett Town000050
1874 Northwich000040


RefereeAssistant Referee 1Assistant Referee 2
Dean WatsonDrew DuttonAaron Bannister

KO 78 82 88 118 FT
Item added to cart.
0 items - £0.00