No.153 - 18/09/2015 - 1874 Northwich F.C.

No.153 – 18/09/2015



Maine Road visit the Barton Stadium on Saturday to face 1874 Northwich in a NWCFL Premier Division fixture.

Maine Road are currently 18th in the Premier Division table with a record of:

9 2 1 6 16 25 -9 7

Their last win came against Abbey Hey on 24th August since then they have played 5 games drawing one and losing four – the last being a 3-0 home defeat to Padiham on Monday.

Previous meetings:

31/3/14 away NWCFL Cup SF lost 1-3 Wellstead
12/4/14 home NWCFL Cup SF lost 0-3
17/8/14 home FA Cup won 2-1 Beadle, Short
18/10/14 home NWCFL won 4-2 Beadle 2, Chappell, Brandon
03/01/15 away NWCFL lost 0-1


1874 Northwich host Rudheath Social at the Barton Stadium on Tuesday in the Mid-Cheshire Senior Cup.

Rudheath Social play in the Cheshire League and are currently in 7th position with 15 points having played 10 games, winning 5 and losing 5. Last Saturday they won 1-0 at home to Sandbach United, a goal from top scorer Andrew Whitney ending a run of 4 defeats.

Rudheath Social are due to play away at Styal on Saturday.

Previous meetings:

11/11/14 home MCSC won 4-2 Wellstead 3, Short
16/07/15 away friendly drew 0-0




1874 Northwich crashed to their second league defeat of the season going down 3-1 to AFC Darwen at the Anchor Ground. Bookended by two controversial incidents, this was a hard fought action packed encounter which kept the 194 strong crowd fully entertained.

After Darwen’s Nick Hepple had a shot blocked by Ryan Mitchell and the follow up saved by Tom Hunt, 1874 debutant Josh Stadnicki headed a 7th minute corner into Darwen’s goal. However, neither referee nor assistant saw the ball was a foot over the line before it was hooked clear by a desperate defender and waved play on.

The home side took the lead in the 16th minute when a cross from the right was met at the far post by Paul Coote whose shot was deflected past Hunt.

A minute later Darwen’s Adam Douglas sliced a cross over his own bar, before Darwen launched a series of crosses and long balls in to the 1874 area. Coote shot inches wide moments before he had a shot blocked on the line by Paul Connor and the follow up shot saved by Hunt.

Despite being hindered by too many miss placed passes, 1874 worked hard and started to come more into the game with Ryan Mitchell heading narrowly wide from a corner and Neil Chappell driving a dangerous cross across the face of the Darwen goal.

After the break play switched from end to end as the game became stretched with both teams looking for goals. In the opening ten minutes of the second half Danny Shannon had a shot saved by Darwen goalkeeper Ben Procter, while Hunt saved well to deny Connor Gaul and Aaron Kirk fired a shot from distance a bit too high.

Gaul increased the hosts’ advantage with a well taken goal in the 57th minute.

1874 halved the lead two minutes later when Proctor failed to deal with a free kick lofted into the box by Matty Ward, allowing the ball to hit one of his team mates and bounce into the net off Mike Brandon who claimed the last touch.

Both sides created numerous half chances before the game exploded in the 80th minute. Approaching the 1874 area Hepple was brought down by Stadnicki, as the free kick was played into area the two players clashed off the ball. With Stadnicki writhing on the floor in agony, players came together pushing and shoving each other, Referee Justin Hayes showed Kirk a red card for his involvement in the incident and dismissed 1874 manager Ian Street from the side line.

As the game entered its final stages, 1874 launched a last ditch attempt to level the scores. Matt Woolley played in Matt Beadle who tried to lift the ball over Proctor, but the Darwen keeper pulled off a brilliant point blank save. With every 1874 player, bar Hunt, in the final third of the pitch, the ball broke to Gaul who raced away before setting up player/manager Neil Prince who calmly slotted home Darwen’s third goal.

1874 – Hunt, Connor (McNicholl 69), Ledwards, Mitchell, Stadnicki, Chappell, Woolley, Kirk, Brandon, Ward (Beadle 69), Shannon (Jackson 67). Subs not used James, Conkie.

GOALS – Darwen Coote 16, Gaul 57, Prince 88 1874 – Brandon 59



A healthy Wednesday night crowd of 221 were treated to a six goal thriller as both sides created many chances and either side could have gained the maximum points.
1874 had Matt Conkie back in goal after he had recovered from injury as had Matty Beadle who was in the starting line up for the first time this season.

On an excellent playing surface both sides set out to play attractive football and as early as the second minute 1874 nearly took the lead but after good work on the left side Beadle’s effort on goal was straight at the home keeper who was not troubled.

However it was just three minutes later when 1874 did go in front and it was Beadle who finished off a good move that involved Ward and Jackson
The home side were certainly not on the back foot as they pushed relentlessly forward in search of an equaliser and this deservedly came in the 15th minute after Ward had carelessly lost possession. The ball was quickly played into the path of Steven Jones who scored easily from eight yards out.

This equaliser seemed to inspire the home side and they took the game to 1874 and in the 22nd minute they took the lead with a well-worked goal as Evans’s inviting cross from the right was slotted home by Barry after skipper Cox had cleverly stepped over the ball to distract the 1874 defenders.

Just after the half hour mark Ryan Mitchell was injured and had to leave the field to be replaced by Steve McNichol with Matt Woolley dropping back to the centre of the defence but even so Woolley very nearly brought his side level with a stunning 30 yard drive that was heading for the top corner but the home keeper saved well at the expense of a corner. However, the equaliser did arrive and just two minutes later with Beadle getting his second goal – this time from the penalty spot after a foul had been committed in the penalty area.
Although this goal put the sides level there still remained some concern in the 1874 camp as far too often possession was being lost due to some poor passing. Half-time 2-2

1874 started the second half well and some good work by Ward set Jackson free on the right but his effort on goal went high and wide. Shortly afterwards Ward had a good effort well saved by the keeper as he tipped the ball on to and then over the bar.

Play was switching from end to end with both teams playing some direct but attractive football and there certainly looked to be more goals in the game and so it was as AFC Liverpool went 3-2 up in the 53rd minute – again after 1874 had lost possession far too easily – and once again it was Barry applying the final touch to beat Conkie.

AFC were on top now and some good defending was necessary from 1874 and this was provided in the main by Danny Thomas, Woolley and Paul Connor whilst Conkie once again showed his safe handling capabilities

Then in the 74th minute the third equalising goal of a pulsating game arrived and what a goal it was! Beadle was involved in the build-up play and when he passed the ball to Ward 20 yards out Ward didn’t need a second invitation to strike the ball powerfully with his trusty left foot and the delight was there for all to see as the ball sailed into the top right hand corner of the net.

In the final quarter both sides pressed for a winner but it was not to be and perhaps that was the “right thing” in as much as neither side deserved to lose what turned out to be an exciting advert the North West Counties Football League

1874: Conkie; Connor; Mitchell; Thomas; James; Chappell; Woolley; Jackson; Ward; Beadle and Brandon.

Substitutes: McNichol (replaced Mitchell after 31 minutes:

Substitutes unused: Kirk; Ledwards; Tulloch and Bowyer

Goals: Beadle 3 and 34 (pen) and Ward 74

Referee: Mr J Mainwaring

Attendance: 221



1874 Northwich Under 21’s returned to winning ways in the Cheshire Under 21 League at Rylands. Four first half goals from striker Taylor Kennerley set 1874 on their way to a 5-2 victory. 1874 were always the better side but could not quite finish off their opponents until late in the game. Both teams created numerous chances throughout an open entertaining game which saw both 1874 goalkeeper Jack Williams and his Rylands counterpart pull off several fine saves.

Rylands had an early goal disallowed for offside before Kennerley opened the scoring in the 8th minute and adding a second in the 16th. The home side pulled a goal back in the 26th minute through Nathan Yarwood before Kennerley completed his hat trick in the 40th minute. George Senior struck back for Rylands in the 43rd minute and Kennerley added his 4th on the stroke of half time.

After such a goal laden first half it was a surprise that there was only one goal in the second half, especially as both teams kept their opponents goalkeepers busy. After Rylands had another goal ruled out for offside, Ben Isherwood ran onto a ball cleverly flicked through the Rylands defence by Callum McGee to complete the scoring slotting the ball past the Rylands keeper.

1874 – Williams, C.Hoare, Moore, Whelan, Hill, Isherwood, Snellgrove, Pasquill, McGee, Kennerley, Heath. Subs not used J.Hoare, Mullock.

GOALS RYLANDS – Yarwood 26, Senior 43 – 1874 – Kennerley 8,16,40,45 Isherwood 88

REFEREE – John Coats

1874 presentation to the NMC

As supporters are aware, the Club has adopted the Neuromuscular Centre as their Charity Partner this season. Yesterday, theNMC held its annual Open Day and the club was privileged to be invited. Representing us at the event was Steve Richardson, Board Member for Community and Vicki England, Football Secretary.

Steve and Vicki were taken on a tour of the facility and heard about their plans to expand the centre, which will enable them to provide more support to adults with Muscular Dystrophy. It is fair to say that they were both hugely impressed by the fantastic standard of care that clients receive. They also had their eyes opened over the number of services the Centre provides, from physio care through to design, print and website development. A very impressive set up.

This was a particularly special event for them as they were able to highlight to guests, the fantastic work that this unique charity has undertaken over the last 25 years. Therefore it seemed a fitting moment for the club to present the charity with the proceeds from the sponsored Manchester Cycle event. Thanks to #team74 and to people that kindly sponsored them, we were delighted to hand over a cheque for £3,033. This will rise when the Centre claims gift aid and the funds will go some way to helping them with their plans.

We are proud of our partnership with the NMC and will be looking at ways we can support them in the future.

nn153 01

Steve is pictured above handing the cheque over to Matthew Lanham (CE of the NMC). Also pictured ( l to r) are Claire Bolton NMC Fundraising Officer, Vicki England and Debbie Leather – a Trustee of the NMC and an 1874 Member.

nn153 02
Good news in the Centre!

Leave a comment