Brocstedes Park - 1874 Northwich F.C.

Ashton Athletic vs 1874 Northwich



1874 made the relatively short journey to Ashton in Makerfield last Saturday seeking a second league win in five days as well as revenge for having been beaten by Ashton Athletic  in their home fixture eleven days ago.

The team managers announced an unchanged starting eleven and the side started well by taking the game to their opponents with Riley and McGowan linking up well to create chances for each other and their team mates whilst the home side struggled a little to get hold of their normal good passing game.

So it was no surprise really when 1874 took the lead just past the quarter hour mark when, following a good exchange of passes, leading scorer Scot McGowan advanced into the Ashton area and beat the keeper easily with a good finish.

This early goal helped shaped the game as Ashton needed to search for  an equaliser and in doing so they allowed 1874 to push forward more often themselves to try and extend their lead and so it was that 1874 did score again in the 37th minute as McGowan scored his second to allow his side to go in at half-time with a two goal cushion.

The second half started much the same as the first and as Ashton continued with their pursuit of a goal it always seemed likely that 1874 would score again but although chances were created they were not taken and this gave Ashton some hope of getting back into the game although Coates in goal was dealing comfortably with all that he was tested with.

However, after 1874 made two substitutes with Danny Thomas and new signing James Ormrod coming into the fray and with a change to the formation the 1874 side was hit by two late goals from the home side and had to settle for a share of the points .

But on a positive note the draw ensured that the recent turnaround of results continued as 1874 have now won three, drawn two and lost only one of their last six games

1874: Coates; Connor; Russell; Pritchard; Jones; Irlam; Joe Woolley; Matt Woolley; Riley; McGowan & Kennerley. Subs: Ormrod & Thomas. Unused Subs: Gardner; Waite-Jackson & Stevenson.       Attendance: 127

Ashton Athletic vs 1874 Northwich


1874 have always found it difficult to come away with all three points at Brocstedes Park but they finally recorded their first win there with an excellent all-round performance
The opening exchanges between the sides were somewhat cautious as there was a “feeling each other out period” and neither goalkeepers were unduly tested.
However in teh 27th minute the all-important first goal arrived and it was 1874 who went ahead courtesy of a well hit free kick by Taylor Kennerley which beat the home keeper after having taking a slight deflection.

Play continued from end to end with both defences appearing to have control but in the 40th minute the home side created their only real chance of the opening half when they quickly advanced forward after breaking up an 1874 attack and then an unfortunate slip by Paul Connor appeared to put his colleagues in real danger of conceding but Connor quickly backpedalled to clear the shot off the line
Three minutes later and 1874 very nearly increased their lead when the workmanlike Same Freakes pushed forward after winning the ball but saw his effort diverted by a defender
1874 were enjoying more possession than their hosts with their back four easily thwarting anything that Ashton could test them with whilst the 1874 midfield grew more dominant as the game progressed with Mark Jones, Freakes, Jake Parker and Sam Hind all impressing whilst the back four also seemed to have Ashton’s strikers in check.

The pattern for the second half was much the same as the opening forty five minutes but as it progressed Ashton had to commit more in their search for an equaliser and although 1874’s keeper Hall had to be alert he was able to cope quite easily with all the crosses and all of the shots that were on target although a good few were well off target
Meanwhile 1874 always looked as though they would be the most likely of the sides to score the next goal but they too saw chances come and go as Kennerley missed two quick chances to claim his second goal of the evening when firstly his well-hit shot was deflected for a corner and then his second effort was scuffed when under pressure.
However, in the 77th minute the all-important second goal did arrive courtesy of Jake Parker who netted from close range after good work by the impressive Sam Hind on the right flank.

Then after 85 minutes Hind was busy once more and the fruits of his labour should really have been seen with a third goal but substitute Ryan Jackson shot wide when well placed.
So this was a well-deserved three points for 1874 and they will now look forward to two more league games this week at home when they meet Squires Gate on Thursday followed by AFC Darwen on Saturday
Team: Hall; Connor; Jackson (Lee); Pritchard; Mitchell: Jones (Capt); Hind; Freakes; McGowan;; Parker & Kennerley. Subs Riley; Jackson (Ryan); Woods; Thomas & Fallon
Attendance 134

Ashton Athletic vs 1874 Northwich

After good wins over Witton Albion and Padiham in the first two games under new management duo Paul Bowyer and Wayne Goodison, 1874 suffered their first defeat by the odd goal in five at Ashton Athletic on Tuesday.

However, 1874 enjoyed a dream start to the game as Scott McGowan scored the opening goal after just five minutes – his second goal for the club since returning and his 18th of the season so far.

The game was played at a high pace with both sides keen to get forward at every opportunity and keepers at both ends were called into action several times in the first half. Just before half time the home side leveled through Cusani after 74’s defence failed to clear the danger.

The second half followed much the same pattern with both sides pushing forward and equally the respective defences seemed capable of avoiding the dangers but then just before the hour mark Ashton took the lead as Regan took advantage of some poor defending before shooting low into the net from twelve yards.

Just minutes later the scores were level again when Sam Hind scored for 1874 following some good build up play and once again the strong travelling supporters of 1874 seemed happy and sensed that perhaps their side could add another goal to secure the points but alas the home side had other ideas and in the 73rd minute Brownhill put Ashton into the lead again with a cool finish.

In the final twenty minutes both sides pressed on to try and score again with 74’s keeper Greg Hall even going up for a corner but it was all to no avail as the referee ended the game with no further scoring – meaning that 1874 remain without a win on their visits to Ashton Athletic – 2 draws and two defeats in their four games

1874: Hall; Connor; Russell; Mitchell; Lever; Hare; Woolley (Joe); Jones (Mark); Carey; McGowan and Edwards. Subs: Hind (replaced Edwards at HT; Whitlock (replaced Woolley after 65 minutes) and Bove (replaced Lever after 81 minutes)

Unused subs: Woolley (Matt) and Tulloch

Referee: Mr Daniel Issawi – Attendance 125

[envira-gallery id=”7703″]

Ashton Athletic vs 1874 Northwich



After seven postponements 1874 Northwich and Ashton Athletic finally took to the pitch in the Men United 3rd round 78 days after the tie’s original November date. It was the home side, winners of the competition in 2014, who emerged victorious at Brocstedes Park winning a penalty shoot out 8-7.

A long cold afternoon started brightly for 1874 as Neil Chappell put them in front in the 2nd minute. The midfielder raced onto a through ball while Ashton stopped and appealed for offside as the linesman raised his flag to indicate an 1874 player in an offside position. Referee Andrew Cawtherley waved play on, as the player in question was not involved in the play, allowing Chappell to advance and shoot past Ashton keeper Martin Pearson.

Three minutes later Danny Thomas headed inches wide from a Ryan Jackson free kick, while moments later in their only chance of the first half Ashton’s Alex Ashby headed just wide from a corner. Pearson came to Ashton’s rescue twice before the half as over producing good saves to deny first Stuart Wellstead and then Jackson.

On top throughout the first half, 1874 continued to dominate the second half but were unable to find a way through a resolute Ashton rearguard who kept their visitors at bay with some desperate defending. Pearson pulled off several more fine saves including one from point blank range to keep out a Mike Brandon header.

Not having troubled Greg Hall in the 1874 goal for the previous 79 minutes Ashton made 1874 pay for not converting their chances in the 80th minute. The ball was played into the 1874 area from the right, 1874 failed to clear their lines, several shots were blocked before Sam Bailey smashed the ball into the 1874 net.

Played on a heavy pitch showing signs of the recent bad weather which has dogged this tie, the score after 90 minutes was 1-1 and entered extra time with 1874 having been reduced to 10 men, captain Matt Woolley dismissed for a second yellow card in the closing minutes.

Ashton were awarded a penalty in the first minute of extra time which Dan Smith slotted home to put the home side in front. Several minutes later Smith drew a fine save from Hall and Joel Brownhill fired a shot over the bar.

With time running out Jackson floated a free kick into the Ashton area, Thomas rose highest to flick a back header over Pearson to level the scores at 2-2 and send the tie to penalties.

Both teams were successful with their first five spot kicks – Wellstead, Dilan Lomas, Ryan Mitchell, Jack Woolley and Jackson on target for 1874 and Smith, Paul Watson, Bailey, Richard Livingston and Steve Kay for Ashton.

Entering sudden death, George Riley saw 1874’s 6th penalty saved by Pearson, while Ian Rowlands hit the post with his side’s 6th attempt. Matty Ward and Brandon scored with 1874’s next two spot kicks as did Luke Holden and Adam Howard for Ashton.

Thomas struck 1874’s 9th spot kick over the bar, Brownhill struck Ashton’s 9th penalty into the net via the underside of the bar to send them into a quarter final at Barnton while 1874 exit a cup competition losing a penalty shoot out for the second time this season.

AHSTON – Pearson, Regan, Riley (Smith 62), Rowlands, Holden, Watson, Ashby (Livingston 71), Bailey, Gilchrist (Kay 71), Brownhill, Howard. Subs not used Pitts, Foulds.

1874 – Hall, Connor (J.Woolley 96), Lomas, Mitchell, Thomas, Chappell (Riley 105), Wellstead, M.Woolley, Beadle (Brandon 64), Ward, Jackson. Sub not used Tulloch.

GOALS – Ashton Bailey 80, Smith 91p 1874 Chappell 2, Thomas 113

REFEREE – Andrew Cawtherley ATTENDANCE 134

Ashton Athletic vs 1874 Northwich

1874 fell to their fourth defeat of the season after being convincing beaten by Ashton Athletic at Brocstedes Park.

The game started brightly for 1874 as Paul Connor broke down the right to win Northwich an early corner and from it, Matt Woolley hooked the ball left footed which landed just wide of the post.

Ashton then grew in to the game, making their numbers in midfield count, they exchanged a high number of passes before Ben Kay let go from distance and his effort skimmed the 1874 crossbar.

That was an indication of what was to come, Ashton’s first corner was headed away by Danny Thomas only as far as Kay, who spread the ball wide, and first time it was back in towards Richard Livingston, who made no mistake deftly guiding the ball past a stranded Conkie to make it 1-0.

1874 were being over run in midfield and Ashton deservedly made it 2-0 on the 29th minute, a whipped corner found the Ashton captain Ian Rowlands who powered the ball in off the far post.

Late on in the half, 1874 threatened as Danny Thomas rose highest to win a header from Ryan Jackson’s corner, it was cleared off the line and the danger was averted.

The second half started slowly, as the pitch was now saturated due to the heavy rainfall, but 10 minutes in to the half, it was 3-0 to Ashton, Conkie’s kick was mis hit and Paul Watson advanced to square the ball to Adam Gilchrist who placed home.

1874 struggled to get a hold in the game and Ashton kept on playing very good football on the wet surface. The game was wrapped up in the 86th minute, Daniel Regan ran threw the 1874 defence and slotted in the bottom right hand corner to cap an extremely impressive performance from the Yellows.

1874 will be disappointed with this result but will look to bounce back away at AFC Blackpool this coming Saturday.

ATT: 154

1874 TEAM: Conkie, Connor, Thomas, Lomas, Stewart, McNichol, Woolley (C), Wellstead, Jackson, Brandon, Beadle.

SUBS: Ward for Thomas on 53 minutes, Tulloch for Beadle on 73 minutes, Mason for Brandon on 80 minutes. UNUSED: Aaron Kirk and Louis James.

Ashton Athletic vs 1874 Northwich


Third hosted fourth in this top of the table encounter at Brocstedes Park, and when the final whistle blew the two sides could not be separated.

Unbeaten at home since October Ashton Athletic almost caught 1874 cold in the first minute. The lively Isaac Kusaloka, a thorn in 1874’s side all afternoon, intercepted a wayward pass, advancing towards goal he was met outside the area by Matt Conkie who blocked the shot with his body.

A minute later Stuart Wellstead had 1874’s first attempt at goal, but his shot was well saved by Ashton goalkeeper Jason Foulds. Shortly afterwards captain Ian Rowlands came to Ashton’s rescue heading a dangerous Matty Ward cross behind for a corner as Mike Brandon was about to pounce.

Neither side could settle in to a pattern of play as two evenly matched teams were cancelling each other out, with both relying on long balls to make ground.

Ashton enjoyed the better of the opening stanza. Ryan Mitchell was forced to clear a Sam Bailey header off the line, he also pulled off a last ditch tackle to deny Kusaloka. Conkie saved well to keep out a Ryan Small header and confidently dealt with a number of crosses played into the 1874 area.

Although 1874 enjoyed the better of the play after the break the second half continued in a similar stop-start fashion to the first. In a highly competitive game referee Barry Cropp saw fit to issue seven yellow cards (4 to Ashton and 3 to 1874) in the second half, although no bad fouls were seen, and dismissed 1874 manager Ian Street from the technical area.

As 1874 started to get on top, Foulds did well to pluck a free kick off Mitchell’s head but could only watch as Brandon flashed a diving header wide of the target and Ryan Stewart shot wide from the edge of the area.

The deadlock was broken in the 59th minute when a Ward cross from the left found Brandon at the far post. Out jumping his marker 1874’s all time leading goal scorer powerfully headed past Foulds to register his 50th goal in 1874 colours.

Three minutes later 1874 had a penalty appeal waved away when an Ashton defender grabbed Chris Lunn’s shirt dragging him out of the path a free kick played into the box causing him to scuff his shot with the goal at his mercy.

In the closing stages of an enthralling game, Ashton piled forward in search of an equaliser being denied on several occasions by last ditch defending until four minutes into stoppage time. Kusaloka broke free in 1874’s area to fire a shot past Conkie to rescue a deserved point for the home side.

ASHTON – Foulds, Edwards, Howard, Rowland, Holden, Watson (Harrison 73mins), Regan (Bannister 73mins), Kay (Cringle 85mins), Small, Kusaloka, Bailey. Subs not used Casey, Woods.

1874 – Cankie, Connor, Bayley, Mitchell, Thomas, Stewart, Woolley, Wellstead (Lunn 58mins), Brandon, Ward, Duckworth. Subs not used Woods, Beadle, Hankey, Bowyer.

GOALS 1874 – Brandon 69mins ASHTON – Kusaloka 94mins

REFEREE – Barry Cropp ATTENDANCE 202 (Ashton’s record attendance)