Little Wembley - 1874 Northwich F.C.

Nelson vs 1874 Northwich



1874 Northwich extended their unbeaten league run to ten games by beating Nelson 3-1 at Little Wembley and in doing so also extended their lead at the top of the Hallmark Security League Premier Division.

1874 took the lead in the 13th minute when Matt Russell ended a run down the left wing with a low cross into the path of Stuart Wellstead who drilled an angled shot through a mass of bodies into the Nelson net.

1874 dominated the first half apart from a ten minute spell when the home side held the upper hand. Zack Dale fired a shot just wide of 1874’s goal and hit another straight at Greg Hall.

Tom Bailey, who had gone close to scoring in the opening minutes with a header, doubled 1874’s advantage scoring from the penalty spot in the 38th minute. Bailey wrestled with Paul Alexander as they chased a Wellstead pass into the box, both men ended up on the floor. Referee Wade Smith booked the Nelson man, pointed to the spot and Bailey sent the keeper the wrong way.

As the half drew to a close Rick Bailey played in Wellstead who fired the ball across the face of the Nelson goal evading several team mates who lunged at the ball without making contact.

Nelson goalkeeper Steve James pulled off two good saves in the first five minutes of the second half to deny Tom Bailey and Dougie Carroll.

By working hard to disrupt 1874’s rhythm, Nelson came more into the game in the second half although 1874 always held the upper hand. Sam Reeves fired a long range shot wide of the target while Sameed Ellahi drew a save from Hall, who also did well to paw a dangerous cross from Yves Zama away to safety.

Just after the hour mark, substitute Scott McGowan sprung Nelson’s offside trap and delivered a cross to the far post where Wellstead fired into the side netting. Moments later Russell and McGowan combined to set up Wellstead who drove the ball across the goal. McGowan tried an acrobatic overhead kick without success, while Matt Woolley shot over the bar from distance.

1874’s nerves started to tick a little when, in the 85th minute, Nelson, who have been struggling somewhat at the bottom of the table, scored after 1874 failed to clear a corner allowing Kevin Brown to prod the ball home from close range.

However, Tom Bailey settled the nerves three minutes later with his second goal of the game, swooping to intercept an under hit back pass he slotted the ball past James to restore 1874’s two goal advantage and secure all three points.

NELSON – James, Wolfenden, Reeves, Nabeel, Brown, Alexander, Dale, Egan, Ellami, Zama, Townsend (Sohaib 76). Subs not used Brierley, Charlesworth, Cookson, Wicks.

1874 – Hall, C Jones, Russell, M Woolley, Thomas, R Bailey, Wellstead ( J Woolley 77), M Jones (Mason 29), T Bailey, Carroll (McGowan 58), Hind. Sub not used Brandon.

GOALS Nelson – Brown 85 1874 – T Bailey 38p, 87 Wellstead 13


Nelson vs 1874 Northwich

Two goals from defender Craig Farnworth at the end of both halves ensured 1874 would make it four league wins in a row, after a solid performance away to rivals Nelson.

The game started with both sides trying to win the midfield battle in order to control the game, Ryan Jackson had a chance to test the fullback early on, he beat him with pace but his cross could only find the keeper.
1874 were on top and having the majority of the ball, but couldn’t create a clear cut chance. The best fell to Tyler Edwards who met Jackson’s corner, but his header was cleared off the line.
The game’s breakthrough came on the 40th minute, with defender Craig Farnworth powering the ball on the half volley in to the top right corner of the Nelson net, for his first goal in 1874 colours, giving the keeper no chance.

HT – Nelson 0-1 1874

Nelson came out for the second half a different team that ended the first, they tested Greg Hall twice early on, but the stopper held the ball well.
1874 had Greg Hall to thank again on the 55th minute, as the Nelson forward turned Paul Connor he fired a great strike towards Hall’s goal, but he made a brilliant reflex save to turn the ball behind.
With 20 minutes to go, Danny Thomas met Ryan Jackson’s corner and his header just went wide of the post. Moments later, Wellstead had a shot blocked after finding space.
Neil Chappell nearly secured 1874’s second goal on the 82nd minute, he tried his luck from 30 yards out, his effort skimmed the post to the relief of the Nelson keeper.
The game was put to bed on the 90th minute, a corner was cleared by Nelson only as far as Craig Farnworth who fired another volley in to the Nelson goal to give 1874 another 3 points and maintain a great run of form.

1874 – Hall, Connor, Farnworth, Thomas, Lomas, Chappell (C), Riley, Wellstead, Edwards, Jackson, Beadle
Ben Woods for Tyler Edwards on 74 minutes.
Stuart Tulloch for Matthew Beadle on 86 minutes.
Corey Mason for Ryan Jackson 90 minutes
Unused – Brandon & Mitchell
Att 130

Nelson vs 1874 Northwich


Having lost twice in their debut season and drawn at home earlier this season 1874 were successful, at the 4th time of asking, in lowering Nelson’s colours winning comfortably at Little Wembley.
With 3rd place in the NWCFL Premier Division already assured, 1874 almost took the lead in the 5th minute when Chris Lunn capitalised on a mistake by Nelson’s George Melling, however having chipped goalkeeper Ben Woodhead from outside the area his shot hit the top of the bar.
In an open end of season game 1874 took the lead in the 23rd minute. A long ball found Ryan Stewart unmarked in the Nelson area, Woodhead managed to beat away his shot but Stewart reacted quickly to cross the ball into the path of Lunn who turned the ball home from close range.
After a slow start the home side started to come more into the game as Ben Hoskins sent a tame shot into the hands of Matt Conkie and Jonty Maullin fired a shot wide of the target after a quickly taken free kick.
1874 always held the upper hand with Adam Bayley firing a shot across Nelson’s goal, Stewart sending a cross/shot inches over the bar and Matty Ward forcing the ball past Woodhead only to see a defender clear.
1874 doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time. A left to right diagonal cross field pass was steered into the box by Bayley where Mike Brandon lofted the ball over the advancing Woodhead into the net.
Nelson started the first half on the attack with Conkie reacting smartly to cut out a dangerous low cross at the feet of an oncoming attacker.
1874 quickly regained control of the game. Woodhead saved well to deny Ward and Bayley before Lunn scored his second in the 69th minute. Latching onto a through ball he outpaced Nelson’s rearguard, rounded Woodhead and smashed the ball into the empty net from close range.
Five minutes later substitute Matt Beadle grabbed 1874’d fourth goal moments after leaving the bench to replace Brandon. Picking up a stray pass from Nelson captain Peter Wright he raced away from the blue shirted defenders, his initial shot was blocked by Woodhead who was unable to prevent 1874’s leading goal scorer from netting the rebound for his 27th goal of the season.
1874 created several more half chances in the closing minutes of an entertaining last game of the season with Lunn twice going close to completing his hat-trick twice shooting narrowly wide of the target.
Moments after scuffing a shot wide of 1874’s goal Paul Fildes scored a 89th minute consolation goal for the Admirals firing home a long range shot.
NELSON – Woodhead, Malone, Mason, Hoskin, Melling (E.O’Neill 25mins), Lloyd, Maullin (Smallridge 74mins), M.O’Neill, Wright, J.O’Neill, Nuttall (Fildes 58mins). Sub not used Walne.
1874 – Conkie, Bayley (Connor 80 mins), Duckworth, Mitchell, Thomas, Chappell, Woolley, Lunn, Brandon Beadle 73 mins), Ward, Stewart (Ledwards 80mins). Sub not used Bowyer.
GOALS – Nelson – Fildes 89. 1874 – Lunn 23,69 Brandon 45, Beadle 74.

Nelson vs 1874 Northwich

In this top of the table clash between the two form teams in the division, 1874 came off second best after suffering a nightmare nine minute opening to the game.

In the very first minute 1874 were denied a penalty when everyone but the man with the whistle failed to see a clear foul on Brandon. Less than 30 seconds later the home side were one goal up, when their first attack produced a goal even though the 1874 defence appeared to have plenty of time to clear the ball before the shot from Melling beat 1874’s custodian low down at the near post.

Things quickly got worse when on 3 minutes Barski hit an unstoppable drive into the top corner of the net from 25 yards but again the 1874’s defenders had a couple of opportunities to clear their lines and indeed an under hit pass out of their own area was easily intercepted and played to Barski who did the rest.

This opening was certainly not part of the plan for 1874 and when the score became 3-0 in the ninth minute, it looked a forlorn task ahead. Once again 1874 conceded possession too easily and the pace of the Nelson front man was such that the eventual tackle was mistimed with the inevitable result being a penalty – easily dispatched by Wright. To add to the 1874 problems their defender was booked unlike his opposite number in the Nelson side who escaped a booking after giving away a penalty that gave the visitors some hope as Ward scored from the spot after 15 minutes.

1874 then proceeded to enjoy their best spell of the game as they slowly got on top but despite creating a few more half chances and hitting the cross bar the second goal eluded them and the score remained 3-1 at half-time.

In the second half the strong 1874 following of supporters expected their side to resume on top but in actual fact it was Nelson who looked the most likely to score and they had several good chances but Conkie pulled off a number of fine saves

As the game moved into the final quarter Nelson found themselves reduced to ten men as a defender saw red for a blatant off the ball infringement taking Wellstead out of the game, but try as they did 1874 couldn’t create any clear chances and in fact Nelson came close on a couple of occasions to score a fourth goal.

But the game ended with no second half goals and Nelson secured the double over 1874. In truth they deserved their victory as they were quickly ” out of the blocks” hitting 1874 hard very early on with their three goals and too many 1874 players were a bit off the pace but Farnworth, Wellstead and Ward could be pleased with their efforts but not the result.

Team: Matt Conkie; Ryan Mitchell; Ryan Stewart; Craig Farnworth Lee Duckworth; Rick Bailey; Daley Woods; Lee Jones (Capt) Mike Brandon; Matty Ward and Stuart Wellstead

Attendance: 170