Richborough Estates Stadium | 1874 Northwich F.C.

Congleton Town vs 1874 Northwich

Scotty reaches a century of goals in impressive win



Once again there was a large travelling support of 1874 fans who would have been hoping for another good performance against a side that 1874 had already beaten on the two previous meetings this season. To say that the fans returned home happy would be a gross understatement  as nobody could have foreseen such  an impressive and convincing all round performance.

However, 1874 very nearly went behind when in the 24th minute the impressive centre forward Cope very nearly opened the scoring for the hosts but his shot hit the crossbar and bounced clear. This certainly let 1874 defenders know that they would be “in for a tough game” but as it turned out the defenders certainly won that battle in the end.

1874 took the lead on the half hour mark when an inch perfect free kick from Sam Hare was met by Jack Pritchard and his header rocketed into the net and the celebrations had hardly died down when a second goal arrived and again this was as a result of another great free kick was met by Scot McGowan and his header quickly nestled into the back of the Congleton net.

1874’s midfield were controlling that area and the game looked at this stage as though the hosts very much needed to score the next goal as soon as possible.

But that didn’t happen as 1874 started the second half exactly where they had left off: on the front foot and searching for more goals!

The search was very nearly rewarded when in the 46th minute McGowan latched onto a long ball out of defence but then his effort on goal rolled agonisingly just wide of the post but a minute later and it was 3-0 as Matt Woolley won another tackle in midfield and quickly and his shot was saved but rebounded into the path of McGowan who slotted the ball home.

This goal clearly deflated the hosts and more goals looked a real possibility and a fourth goal arrived in the 58th minute after Pritchard saw his on target header rebound out to the ever alert McGowan who poked the ball home from three yards out.

Whilst this goal completed another hat trick for McGowan it also brought up the 100 goals for him – a marvellous achievement and one so richly deserved by the hard working striker.

Scotty was substituted a minute later and as he left the field he quite rightly received a wonderful reception from 1874’s supporters (and also a good few Congleton supporters who remember him so fondly of his time with them)

Sam Hind was the player to replace McGowan and he too didn’t waste any time in getting into the action as he looked to increase 1874’s advantage in the tie going forward.

A welcomed fifth goal did arrive in the 76th minute courtesy of a fine Taylor Kennerely goal as he beat three tired defenders on the right flank before hitting a low drive from ten yards into the bottom corner of the net.

So with a five goal advantage going into the second leg at home next Saturday 1874 will be confident of reaching the final but of course nothing will be taken for granted as the visitors will be looking to score early and put pressure on 1874.

1874: Aghayere; Connor; Russell; Pritchard; Meadowcroft (sub Irlam); Jones; Koral; Woolley; McGowan (sub Hind); Hare (sub Smith) & Kennerley. Unused subs: Gardner & Waite-Jackson

Congleton: Ellison; Stephens; Peters; McLellan (sub Main); Morris; Speed; Hasler-Cregg; Warburton; Cope; Foster( sub Hunter) & Adegbenro

Attendance: 296

Congleton Town vs 1874 Northwich



Tuesday 24th April 2018

1874 Northwich returned to winning ways with a comprehensive victory over Congleton Town on Tuesday evening but only after the hosts had taken the lead in the 15th minute – a lead which they managed to hold on to until the 4th minute of the second half.

Perhaps understandably as they were playing their SIXTH game in just EIGHT days 1874 started the game a little more slowly than is their normal style but nevertheless they did produce the first chance of a goal as early as the 6th minute when Thomas headed wide when well placed to meet a corner from the right and it was a double blow just nine minutes later when Congleton took the lead from a corner of their own as Hibbert headed home comfortably when unchallenged in the penalty area.

The game livened up considerably after this opening goal as both sides looked to get forward quickly at every opportunity but 1874’s distribution and final ball especially was a little disappointing.

The best move of the opening half came from 1874 as Matty Russell and Ryan Jackson combined well but Jackson’s shot was well saved.

H-T 1-0

The first chance after the interval came to 1874 as they looked to get back on level terms and Rory Fallon did well by winning the ball in midfield before surging forward and then passing to McGowan on his left but the top striker’s effort was well saved.

But 1874 and their usual strong travelling supporters didn’t have to wait too long for their side to equalise and not surprisingly it was their leading goalscorer McGowan who obliged just four minutes into the half as he turned the ball over the line from close in.

The game had livened up considerably at this point as both sides looked to take the upper hand and it was 1874 that did just that on the hour mark as McGowan netted again with his usual ease. (This goal – his 38th of 1874’s long season saw him pass the goal scoring record of Michael Brandon who managed to score 35 goals for 1874 in a previous season

1874 didn’t have to wait too long for a decisive third goal when good work by Winthrop on the left flank finished with his exquisite pass into the path of his fellow young wide man – Ryan Jackson who fired home with ease from just inside the area.

The 1874 Managers had made three substitutions by this point – introducing Kyle Riley, Sam Freakes and Paul Collins into the game and all three of them performed well with Riley most unfortunate not to have scored a goal in his late cameo performance whilst Freakes once again showed his ability to win the ball in midfield and then pass quickly and accurately to his team mates.

The icing on the cake for this well earned 1874 win came with their fourth goal which was made by and scored by two of their younger players – Kazim Waite-Jackson who did well on the left hand side before delivering an inch-perfect pass into the feet of the advancing Ryan Jackson who collected the ball in his stride before advancing a few yards before easily beating the keeper for his second goal of the game to make the points safe for 1874

1874 now have a rest before their next game on Thursday 26th April at home to Widnes

1874 Team: Hall; Lever (Sub Connor H-T) ; Woods: Pritchard (capt); Thomas; Woolley Matt (Sub Freakes 55) ; Jackson (Ryan); Fallon; McGowan (Sub Riley 63); Waite-Jackson & Winthrop – Unused subs: Mitchell & Payne

Referee: Jack Nield Attendance: 160

Congleton Town vs 1874 Northwich

Captain Woolley Tames The Bears

Congleton Town FC 0 v 1 1874 Northwich FC


A goal by 1874’s captain – Matthew Woolley – was enough to see his team through to the 1st Round of the Buildbase FA Vase and an away game at Irlam Town next month and in doing so the impressive run of form to the start of the season continued as they have now won eight and drawn six of their fourteen games so far.

But as with most cup ties this game was far from an easy encounter as both sides looked to get forward as much as possible and both goalkeepers were kept busy throughout and indeed it was Greg Hall 74’s keeper who was the first to be called into action after just two minutes as Jason Carey hit a powerful shot from 15 yards only to see Hall save well at the expense of a corner.

Ten minutes later and 1874 had their first sight of goal when, after good work by Jackson created a shooting opportunity for Beadle but his effort went into the side netting.

Then in the 17th minute the visiting supporters thought that 1874 had taken the lead as a free kick from 25 yards out by Scot McGowan beat the home keeper but hit the crossbar and bounced away to safety and minutes later the same player shot narrowly wide of the target.

Just after the half hour work good work by Paul Connor on the right flank created a chance for Sam Hind and his rasping drive ended the same as McGowan’s previous good effort… hitting the crossbar and being easily cleared by a covering defender.

Two minutes later and more good work from Hind resulted in another chance for 74 but the shot was dealt with by a covering defender.

1874 appeared to have gained a strong hold of the game and as such had long passages of play with possession and they strived hard for the opening goal whilst Congleton were tending to rely on breakaways but at the same time they remained a threat with Carey, Chappell and Fletcher all having shots on goal.

Just before half-time Cleavon Beadle did well when he went on a run and easily beat two defenders before passing to Jake Parker but his effort was cleared and the game remained goalless at half time.

This first half was one of the best 45 minutes of football played by 1874 this season as all the players worked hard for one another and at the same time they controlled the possession and created some very good chances

HT 0-0

After the interval 1874 carried on from where they had left off and the impressive Taylor Kennerley had two strong and tricky runs at the Congleton defenders and as such created two good scoring chances for himself but the first one was mishit whilst the second went over the bar but nevertheless his work rate showed promise for his side.1874 continued to take the game to their opponents and whilst they were striving hard to create chances in their search for a goal they had to continue to be aware of the real threat of Congleton’s attackers – particularly the impressive Declan Fletcher.

A reminder of this possible threat was shown just before the hour mark when a well-taken free kick was headed away by an 1874 defender at the expense of a corner – but once again the excellent back four of 1874 were up to the task and defended well.

Three minutes later and play was at the other end with a free kick just outside the area being awarded following a clumsy tackle on Kennerley. This came to nothing but a minute later and more attacking play from 1874 nearly produced the game’s first goal as yet another 74 free kick – awarded again for a foul on Kennerley – was fired into the penalty area and seemed to strike the arm of a Congleton defender but despite the strong appeals by 1874’s players the referee waved play on!

1874 continued to be on the offensive and yet still had to be wary of a threat from Congleton who did look dangerous on the break.

The introduction of substitute – Adam Whitlow on the right – with fifteen minutes remaining – provided another worry for Congleton as they tried to stem the attacks from 1874 whilst also trying to create their own chances. But it was Whitlow who was providing the chances that would surely give 74 a deserved win and passage into the next round but it turned out that Whitlow’s fellow wing man Kennerley would be involved in the game’s only goal in the 80th minute he went on yet another dazzling run that culminated with a shot from 20 yards that was deflected for a corner and from this well-delivered corner skipper Matt Woolley popped up at the back post to net the only goal of the game.

As 1874 tried to play out the final few minutes there was very nearly an upset for them as Congleton had one last rally forward that produced two efforts on goal – one of which struck a post before bouncing away to safety.

So in the end it was 1874 that deservedly won the game and can now look forward to a visit to Irlam in the next round of the competition

Congleton: Jones; Hill; Peters; Stevens; O’Reilly; Chappell, Adegbenro: Farnworth, Fletcher, Carey & Morris

1874: Hall; Connor; Jackson; Pritchard; Meadowcroft; Parker; Beadle; M Woolley; McGowan; Hind & Kennerley

Attendance: 218 Referee: Jon Kenny


Congleton Town vs 1874 Northwich

Scott McGowan will grab the headlines as his hatrick saw 1874 safely through to the First round proper of the Cheshire Senior cup at league rivals Conlgeton Town’s expense.

Ian Street made a number of changes to his 1874 Northwich team, Paul Connor returned from a long term injury to slot in at fullback, Ryan Jackson and Jack Woolley were given starts

In an evenly contested start, it took 20 minutes for the first real chance of the game, Jack Woolley met Ryan Jackson’s corner kick, his header could only land the wrong side of the post

The first goal of the game arrived on the 27th minute, a long ball from the Congleton keeper found its way all the way to the forward, who advanced on Greg Hall, and placed it over the 1874 stopper

The hosts lead did not last long, Scott McGowan latched on to a through ball from Sam Hind, and the forward blasted a left footed strike in to the bottom corner of the goal to bring the scores level


The Greens took the lead almost 15 minutes in to the second half, Ryan Jackson, returning to action after 8 weeks out, used his chest to guide the ball home from 6 yards out after Sam Hind provided an excellent ball in the box from out wide

Joe Woolley was introduced for 1874 from the bench, and he was straight in to the action, he used his trickery and pace to beat the fullback all ends up, however his effort was blocked by a brave defender on the slide

1874 put the game to bed on the 79th minute, Scott McGowan again looping an effort towards goal, the ball took a deflection off the Congleton defender and in off the upright.

The final goal of the game was the best of the bunch, a set piece straight from the training ground, found McGowan who was in behind the hosts backline, his lifted finish left the keeper with no chance and sealed his first hatrick for 1874 and a place in the Cheshire Senior Cup first round proper.

1874 | Hall, Connor (Joe Woolley 70′), Mitchell, Thomas, Russell, Chappell, M.Woolley, Jackson (T.Bailey 75′), Jack Woolley, Hind, McGowan

UNUSED | Tulloch

Congleton Town vs 1874 Northwich


By Garry Clarke

A stunning second half hat-trick by Sam Hind steered 1874 Northwich to a 4-2 victory at Congleton Town to go top of the Hallmark Security League Premier Division table despite being 2-0 down with less than half an hour to play.

Playing their first league game of the season 1874 started the game stronger than their Cheshire neighbours with Hind, Tom Bailey and Stuart Wellstead going close to scoring in the opening stanza.

The home side, who has posed little threat in the opening 30 minutes, started to come more into the game with Mike Koral and Jack Pritchard going close before Declan Fletcher opened the scoring in the 30th minute. Winning the ball in midfield he drove forward drilling a shot into the 1874 net from outside the area.

Congleton doubled their lead two minutes before half time when referee Wade Smith adjudged Ryan Mitchell to have fouled Koral in the penalty area. Brian Matthews put his spot kick beyond the reach of 1874 custodian Greg Hall.

In the opening minutes of the second half Hall did well to prevent Matthews from scoring saving at point blank range, and watched minutes later as the same player launched a long range speculative shot over the bar.

The 60th minute introduction of former Congleton Town player Scott McGowan sparked life into 1874, who were in danger of becoming ship wrecked on the rocks of a solid well organized Congleton.

Six minutes after his arrival on the Booth Street pitch, McGowan slipped a pass into the path of Bailey whose shot was fumbled by Bears keeper Mike Dixon allowing the ever alert Hind to bundle the ball over the line.

Now with three at the back and McGowan offering extra width in attack, a more enthusiastic 1874 were now starting to dominate the game, although they had to be careful not to be caught out on the break by the home side.

1874 drew level in the 74th minute. Ed Moran swung a corner into a congested Congleton penalty area; Hind emerged from a pack of players to propel the ball into the back of the net.

Eight minutes later with his first touch after entering the fray, substitute Rick Bailey delivered a cross to the far post where he found Hind, who guided his header into the net to put 1874 in front and complete his first hat trick for the club.

1874, who came from 4-1 down to snatch a point at Congleton last season, completed their comeback a minute before full time when McGowan, who scored a hat-trick for Congleton in the corresponding fixture last season, swept in a cross from close range to open his account for his new club as 1874 sailed away to victory.

CONGLETON – Dixon, Pritchard, Blair, Whiteoak, Alston (Baker 38), Read (Gardner 85), Koral, S Septon, Fletcher, Matthews, Marshall (Kirby 66) – subs not used L Sephton, Highton.

1874 – Hall, Connor, Russell, Mitchell (McGowan 60), Thomas, Chappell, Wellstead, M Woolley (R Bailey 80), T Bailey, Hind, Moran – subs not used Kirk, Welsh, J Woolley.

GOALS – Congleton – Fletcher 30, Matthews 43p. 1874 – Hind 66,74,82 McGowan 89



Hat trick hero Sam Hind celebrates.


Scott McGowan wheels away after scoring.

Congleton Town vs 1874 Northwich

When Michael Brandon glanced a cross from Ryan Jackson into goal in the 88th minute, it was the completion of a remarkable comeback as 1874 trailed 4-1 with 25 minutes to play.

The game started brightly for 1874 as Jackson tested the fullback and seemed to have the beating of him due to his pace and ability to either take him on wide or cut inside.

But the first effort of the game came from former 1874 midfielder, Rick Bailey, who fired a left footed strike that just went wide of the target but this served as a warning of Congleton’s strength going forward.

Conkie was called into his first action of the game, reacting well to get down and save from a Declan Fletcher strike.

1874 looked to get a stranglehold on the game, with Ryan Jackson and Stuart Wellstead threatening on both flanks and it was the former who had 1874’s first effort on goal but his powerful shot clipped the outside of the post.

Soon after, Jackson looked likely to opening the scoring but good defensive work by Kieron Kenny thwarted the opportunity at the expense of a corner from which 1874 did take the lead thanks to a powerful header from Matt Beadle.

After 33 minutes, the scores were level as Bailey lifted the ball over Lomas’ head to find McGowan, who quickly side-stepped right and fired the ball into the top right hand corner.

Just two minutes later and it was 2-1 to the hosts. After Matty Ward lost possession, Fletcher advanced and easily found McGowan who, once again made no mistake by shooting past Conkie.

The second half began with 1874 looking to get back on level terms but in the 52nd minute it was Congleton who scored the fourth goal of the evening and it was a hat-trick for McGowan as once again he found himself in space and cleverly chipped the ball over Conkie and into the net.

It got worse for 1874 on the hour mark after Matthews advanced easily down and squared the ball to substitute Brandon Moores for the easy tap in from 5 yards.

New signing Michael Evans came on for his debut by replacing Ryan Stewart. And it was a pass from Evans in the 66th minute that found Beadle, who lifted a fantastic finish over Farrimond in the Congleton goal to make it 4-2 and give 1874 a glimmer of hope.

The deficit was reduced even further one minute later when Matt Woolley had space to advance forward before unleashing an excellent effort from 25 yards that beat Farrimond

Stuart Wellstead fired a free kick that just went inches wide of goal and then Michael Evans tried a first time volley which also went narrowly wide.

The game was certainly exciting with both sides attacking better than they were defending and it seemed certain that there would be more goals to savour.

It was Congleton, who should perhaps have sealed the points, when Declan Fletcher broke through on goal and his effort clipped the post and went wide when it seemed easier to score

Then, in the 88th minute the sides were level as Michael Brandon was in the right position to meet a cross from Jackson and glance a header into the bottom corner.

This pulsating game had two more big moments – one for each side – in the 91st minute, Matt Beadle turned to find space in the Congleton box, but his left footed effort was well held by Farrimond, whilst at the other end of the field, Congleton had one last chance from a corner, but 1874’s captain Matt Woolley headed the ball away just as Fletcher was waiting to pounce.

This was a great comeback from 1874 and a fantastic advert for North West Counties Football but whilst Ian Street will no doubt be happy with the goals scored he will be no doubt be keen to address the number of goals conceded.

1874: Conkie, Connor, Stadnicki, Lomas, James, Woolley (C), Stewart, Wellstead, Jackson, Beadle, Ward.

SUBS: Evans for Stewart (66) Brandon for Lomas (69)

UNUSED: McNichol, Tulloch, Mason.