Silentnight Stadium | 1874 Northwich F.C.

Barnoldswick Town vs 1874 Northwich

So where does one start with a summary of this twelve goal game last Saturday?

Well first of all our thanks must go to the hard working ground staff at Barnoldswick who did a lot of work on the ground to ensure that the fixture went ahead. That said after ninety minutes they more than likely wished that they hadn’t!

The usual good following of 1874 supporters didn’t have to wait long to cheer on an opening goal for 1874 but with it also came some disappointment as the goalscorer Jake Parker had to leave the field with an ankle injury. Fortunately this didn’t upset the rhythm for 1874 as they scored two more goals through McGowan and Gardner to take a three goal lead but this was reduced to two as Ryan Shenton pulled one back for the home side after 41 minutes.

At the start of the second half 1874 only took a minute to increase their lead as Lee Knight netted but 16 minutes later the lead was once again reduced by Shenton. However, after this reverse 1874 really stepped up their game and set about playing good football and carving out many goal scoring opportunities from which McGowan (65th minute), Knight (69th and 80th) and Gardner (86th) increased their lead to a delightful SIX goals but to their credit the home side were not out of it and they finished the game by scoring twice in the 90th and 91st minutes and it was Ryan Shenton who netted both to finish with four goals but in a team that was really very well beaten on the day

This result took 1874 eight points clear at the top of the table and at the same time it certainly sent their fans home happy!

Barnoldswick Town vs 1874 Northwich




To many a result like this one was always about to happen because despite the never failing enthusiasm of the Management and Players the schedule of their games during the last few weeks has been one that has simply caught up with the players and in this game at Barnoldswick the players looked at times to be “running on empty”

This, in no way is a criticism of the players but simply a statement of what has been happening over the last five or six weeks and despite the best efforts of the players wearing the shirt for 1874, in this game some of them looked jaded and tired at times whilst the hosts certainly put in a performance that justified the end result and the three points being well earned.

That said Barnoldswick were helped a little along the way and the help started as early as the twenty minute mark when goalkeeper Greg Hall made a complete mess of a routine clearance with his kick out being gratefully received by Andrew Hill 30 yards out and he seized on the opportunity to expertly hit the ball into the unguarded net to open the scoring.

This goal gave the home side confidence and they hung on to their lead until the half time break although they had looked the more likelier of the two sides to score the next goal.

For 1874 McGowan was his usual busy self working away to create chances and he was supported by Freakes and Hind but some of his other colleagues seemed to be having an “off day” as far too many times their possession was too easily lost and there seemed to be a lack of commitment by some players at times.

The usual strong following of 11874 supporters were hoping for a change at the start of the second half but just two minutes in and that hope was shattered as Zack Dale increased Barnoldswick’s lead when re reacted quickest to a shot that was only parried in to the danger area.

The prospect of an 1874 revival in this game looked somewhat bleak as good possession continued to be wasted and after 65 minutes the task of salvaging something from this contest was almost gone when Jimmy Crorken added a third goal for his side again when the danger could have been averted and in the71st minute Dale hit his second and Barnoldswick’s fourth goal to put the game to bed.

1874: Hall; Connor; Lever; Pritchard; Mitchell; Freakes; Winthrop(Sub Ryan Jackson 53); Hind (Capt); McGowan; Waite-Jackson (sun Matt Woolley 77); & Payne (sub Parker 53). Unused Subs: Joe Woolley & Wayne Goodwin

Attendance: 229 Referee: Joseph Goodwin

Barnoldswick Town vs 1874 Northwich

1874 battle to earn draw at Barlick after being reduced to ten men

By Jack Owen

1874 had to play the majority of the second half with 10 men, after Ryan Mitchell received a red card for reacting to an off the ball incident, but they showed an encouraging togetherness to graft their way to a deserved draw against Barnoldswick Town.

The Greens started the game well and took the lead in the second minute when Bailey scored from a penalty – deservedly awarded when Scott McGowan was fouled by a Barnoldswick defender.

1874 had the ball in the back of the net again in the 13th minute after Bailey’s powerful freekick  seemed to come off the post and in, but the linesman, raised his flag and disallowed the goal for offside to the astonishment of the 1874 players and supporters

1874 continued to attack, and doubled their lead on the half hour mark. An excellent cross found Sam Hind at the back post, he cut the ball back to Scott McGowan who placed the ball underneath the keeper to record his fifth goal of the season

Almost straight from the kick off, Barnoldswick reduced the deficit, when a cross from the left found their striker – Hollindrake and sent a bullet header past Greg Hall to give the home side a life line

Minutes into the second half there was a game changing moment, whilst both teams prepared for a Barnoldswick free kick, a linesman flagged and called the referee over, and this exchange resulted in Ryan Mitchell being shown a red card for an off the ball altercation

1874 now had to dig in to protect their lead, and they did so brilliantly with Mark Jones coming off the bench to add guile to the defence. Jones and his fellow defenders defended valiantly but the home side equalised in the 82nd minute when a shot from the edge of the box rebounded to Hollindrake who didn’t need a second invitation to net his second goal of the game by beating Hall from close range

So in the end the points were shared but it will certainly be the home side who will feel better as they rescued a point from a two goal deficit whilst
1874 must reflect on an avoidable off the ball incident that cost them all three points

1874 | Hall, Connor, Mitchell, Middleton, Russell, Wellstead, Chappell, M.Woolley (C), Hind, T.Bailey, McGowan.
SUBS | Jones for McGowan (47 minutes) R.Bailey for Middleton (67 minutes)

Barnoldswick Town vs 1874 Northwich


1874 Northwich were caught cold falling behind after just two minutes into their first game of 2016. Not having played since before Christmas, 1874 were still clearing away the cobwebs when Barnoldswick Town, playing their first home game since 3rd November, opened the scoring. A cross field ball was collected on the right flank by John Beckwith, cutting inside he ghosted past several 1874 defenders and unchallenged netted with an angled drive from the edge of the area.

As bad as the start had been it was to get worse for 1874. Loius James’ participation in the afternoon’s proceedings was brought to a premature end by the referee brandishing a red card. Chasing Beckwith as he raced onto a through ball, James as the last defender brought him down on the edge of the area prompting his dismissal.

With Barnoldswick dominating the opening exchanges 1874 goalkeeper Greg Hall was called into action to deny Beckwith and Joe Gaughon before the greens started to find their feet on a soft pitch.

Danny Thomas drew a fine save from Barnolsdwick goalkeeper Jordan Gidley who tipped his angled drive over the bar. As the half progressed 1874 fired several shots just off target, while Gidley produced good saves to deny Matty Ward, Ryan Jackson, Stuart Wellstead and Matt Beadle.

Being pushed back by a now dominant 1874 the home side were restricted to hitting 1874 on the break. Such counter attacks saw Barnoldswick go close to scoring a second before half time. Gaughon twice shot wide, Jake McEneaney fired a cross across the face of the goal and Harry Thompson lifted a shot over the bar.

The start of the second half was delayed while a replacement official was found to run the line in place of senior assistant Martin Rushworth, who moved into the middle replacing injured referee Colin Whittaker.

The extended break did not hamper the home side with Hall having to make an instinctive save from point blank range to deny Gaughon in the opening minutes of the half James Longley was on hand to tap home the rebound, however the stand in assistant – 1874 board member John Coats – raised his flag to indicate offside.

Barnoldswick doubled their lead in the 62nd minute when 1874 momentarily went to sleep at the Silentnight Stadium. A corner was drilled low into the 1874 area where amidst static defence the unmarked Gaughon smashed the ball home.

As the game entered its final quarter 1874 pushed extra players forward searching for a way back into an encounter which had kept the 184 strong crowd entertained throughout.

Wellstead shot wide after a good run by Jackson before Jackson handed 1874 a lifeline finding the back of the net in the 73rd minute. Matt Woolley launched a pin point long angled ball into the box, Jackson held of a defender’s challenge at the far post to drill a low shot into the net from a tight angle.

As 1874 committed more men forward looking for an equalizer they left themselves exposed to a swift breakaway. Although most breaks were dealt with by the two remaining defenders – Danny Thomas and Craig Farnworth – Gaughon twice managed to fire in shots which just cleared the bar.

Deep into stoppage time with the seconds ticking away a shot was fired through a packed Barnoldswick penalty area, Gidley pulled off a fine save but was unable to hold onto the ball and could only watch as Ryan Mitchell tucked it into the net. Wheeling away to celebrate his last gasp equaliser Mitchell’s joy was short lived as the assistant referee’s flag was raised to indicate he was offside.

BARNOLDSWICK – Gidley, Moore, McEneaney, Crorken, Barnes (Aidrie 78mins), Airey, Beckwith, Thompson, Threfall (Simpson 65mins), Longley, Gaughon. Subs not used Hutchinson, Gill, Cruz.

1874 – Hall, Mitchell, James, Farnworth, Thomas, Brandon, Wellstead (Brooks 70mins), M.Woolley (Stott 75mins), Beadle, Ward Chappell 67mins), Jackson. Subs not used Connor, J.Woolley.

GOALS – BARNOLDSWICK Beckwith 2, Gaughon 62 1874 Jackson 73

REFEREE – Colin Whittaker (Martin Ashworth) ATTENDANCE 184

Barnoldswick Town vs 1874 Northwich


1874 Northwich returned home from high in the Pennines with three points, having come from behind to defeat hosts Barnoldswick Town.

After an initial feeling out period, the home side opened the scoring in the 15th minute. Good build up play down the left wing saw the ball delivered to an unmarked Harry Thompson who fired past Matt Conkie from 12 yards.

1874 started to come more into the game with Jordan Johnson drawing a good save from Barnoldswick goalkeeper Scott Reid. 1874 levelled the score in the 23rd minute when Barnoldswick failed to clear a free kick from their packed penalty area, in the ensuing scramble Danny Thomas managed to stab the ball home.

Play was switching from end to end and on the half hour mark Thompson smacked a shot from the edge of the area against an upright. Shortly afterwards Mike Brandon and Matt Beadle combined in the Barnoldswick area, but despite rounding the prone keeper could not force the ball past covering defenders.

A little piece of history occurred as 1874 hit the front in the 37th minute. The otherwise impressive Reid missed punching a free kick clear allowing it to hit his team mate Anthony Pollard and bounce into the net, for the first ever competitive own goal in 1874’s favour.

The closing moments of the first half saw Matt Woolley surge forward from midfield to set up Beadle whose shot was well saved by Reid, following up Woolley’s shot from the rebound was deflected wide.

1874 were almost caught napping at the start of the second half at the Silentnight Beds Stadium. Tom Henderson held off several challenges to unleash a thunderbolt shot which crashed against the crossbar. Reacting first to the rebound, his follow up shot was blocked by Conkie, who quickly regained his feet to deny Thompson from close range.

In the 56th minute debutant George Mannion led a breakaway down the left wing; his cross found Beadle whose shot was saved by Reid. However, Barnoldswick from the rebound were unable to clear their lines allowing Beadle to drill the ball home from the edge of the area.

1874 were now in control of the game going close to increasing their tally several times. Thomas had a header from a corner well saved by Reid, who also denied the returning Sakeel Abdullah from point blank range and several shots just missed the target.

For all their dominance 1874 had to be wary of their opponents, who battling against relegation from the NWCFL Premier Division kept on working hard and caused a few scares late on as they looked for a way back into the game which never came as two minutes into stoppage time Chris Lunn scored 1874’s fourth goal. Chasing a long ball over the top of the defence he beat Reid to the ball lobbing it over the stranded keeper.

BARNOLDSWICK – Reid, Thompson, Lee, Crorken, McEneaney, Rydehalgh, Pollard (Cavanagh 72mins), Broderick, Henderson, Cooper (Threlfall 60mins), Tinning (Byrom 72mins). Subs not used Hill, Reeves.

1874 – Conkie, Connor, Duckworth, Bayley, Mitchell, Thomas, M.Woolley, Johnson (Abdullah 77mins), Brandon (Lunn 82mins), Beadle, Mannion (Wellstead 60mins). Subs not used Ward, Chappell.

GOALS Barnoldswick Thompson 15 1874 Thomas 23, OG 37, Beadle 56, Lunn 92


Barnoldswick Town vs 1874 Northwich


1874 Northwich made hard work of booking their place in the Men United Cup third round. 3-0 up within twenty minutes, 1874 overcame Barnoldswick Town clinging on to a one goal lead in a nervy finale to a frustrating game.

Playing up the slope at the Silentnight Beds Stadium, 1874 dominated the first half with the home side, through Joel Melia, having just one attempt at goal which was comfortably saved by Matt Conkie.

1874 opened the scoring in the 3rd minute when Ryan Mitchell rose highest at the far post to head home a corner delivered by the returning Daley Woods.

Lee Duckworth struck a post with a free kick in the 13th minute, he also hit a later free kick against the cross bar. In between his two strikes against the woodwork, 1874’s captain opened his goal scoring account with another sweetly struck free kick.

Matty Ward picked up the ball on the edge of his own area as 1874 cleared a corner, holding off several challenges he carried the ball to the edge of the Barnoldswick area where he was brought down. Duckworth stepped forward to curl the 18th minute free kick into the top corner.

Two minutes later Duckworth swung in a corner from the right which Woods head past Barnoldswick goal keeper Chris Taylor from close range. Picking the ball out of the net was Taylor’s last involvement in the game as he was replaced by forward Mark Threlfall having picked up a hand injury.

While Barnoldswick regrouped and reorganised, 1874 continued to dominate he first half. Matt Beadle flashed a diving header across the goal, Micthell had a shot blacked, Woods shot wide from 20 yards and Ward shot over the bar from 30 yards.

With a home third round tie against Colne on offer to the victors, a re-shuffled Barnoldswick started to gain the upper hand against an increasingly sloppy 1874, who despite several efforts at goal failed to force the stand in goalkeeper to make a save, Beadle, Duckworth and Stuart Wellstead shooting wide of the target.

Melia and Matt Cavangh both went close in the opening minutes of the second half as the home side attacked the Sewer End where the majority of their supporters congregated and it came as no surprise when they pulled a goal back in the 76th minute. 1874’s backline failed to adequately deal with a long ball allowing Melia to nip in and take the ball off Conkie, as he tried to clear and roll the ball into the empty net. Four minutes later Cavanagh reduced the deficit further scoring from a corner which 1874 failed to clear setting up a nervous last ten minutes as 1874 continued to surrender possession too easily with numerous miss-placed passes.

Four minutes into time added on, Melia had a shot saved by Conkie. Scrambled clear for a throw in the ball was returned into the danger area, only half cleared the ball fell to Martin Broderick who to the relief of the 1874 contingent pulled his shot wide as the referee blew the final whistle.

BARNOLDSWICK TOWN – Taylor (Simpson 25mins), Walker, Euerton, Scott (Broderick 71mins), Ridehalgh, Cavanagh, Melia, Byrom, Threlfall, Lee (Cracken HT). Subs not used Pollard, McEneaney.

1874 – Conkie, Connor, Woolley, McGrath, Mitchell, Chappell, Woods (Wellstead 69mins), Gill (Stewart 60mins), Beadle, Ward, Duckworth. Subs not used Bowyer, Fossdyke,

GOALS Barnoldswick – Melia 76, Cavanagh 80. 1874 – Mitchell 3, Duckworth 18, Woods 20.

REFEREE – James Price.