St Lukes Barton Stadium - 1874 Northwich F.C.

Winsford United vs 1874 Northwich

1874 Northwich made a winning return to their former home winning 2-0 at the Barton Stadium in front of a crowd of 627 spectators, an attendance boosted by attendees of the League’s Groundhop weekend.

The victory over their former landlords maintained 1874’s seven point lead at the top of the NWCFL Premier Division table and extended their unbeaten league run to sixteen games.

After an initial feeling out process, 1874 started to gain the ascendancy with Jake Parker and Jack Tinning both going close with shots from outside the area mid way through the first half before captain Matt Woolley opened the scoring in the 25th minute.

With the referee waving play on amidst the home sides claims for hand ball the ball broke to Woolley who from thirty yards unleashed a thunderous drive which flew into the top corner of the net.

Winsford goalkeeper Scott Read produced two fine saves to deny Sam Hare and Mike Koral but was unable to prevent Lee Knight from doubling 1874’s lead in the 31st minute. Picking up the ball near the half way line his surging run into the heart of the Winsford defence left several opponents trailing in his wake before he drilled an angled shot out of Reeds reach into the bottom corner.

The second half descended into a somewhat scrappy affair on a boggy pitch in which neither side looked like scoring although Reed pulled off a couple of good saves and his 1874 counterpart Tony Aghayere saved smartly to keep out a late Sam Madeley effort.

1874 Northwich vs Runcorn Town




1874 Northwich ended their 2018/19 league campaign with a victory as the green and blacks beat Runcorn Town 3-0 in their last home game at St Luke’s Barton Stadium.

Heavy rain driven across a sodden pitch by strong gusting winds made playing controlled football difficult on a cold April afternoon, but both sides did their best to entertain the 159 spectators who had braved the elements.

1874 dominated the game which man of the match Aaron Smith prominent. As early as the second minute he ended a strong run by slipping the ball into the path of Jake Parker who shot narrowly wide from ten yards. Three minutes later Smith intercepted a pass from a Runcorn defender, he was beaten to the ball by Runcorn keeper Adam Reid whose clearance fell to Callum Gardner whose first time effort was off target.

Reid cut out a dangerous Scott McGowan cross in the 15th minute and two minutes later pulled off a good one handed diving save to keep out a long range Smith shot, the keeper reacted to quickly to prevent McGowan netting the rebound.

A Paul Connor cross found Gardner unmarked at the far post but from close range he lifted the ball over the bar in the 36th minute while four minutes later Reid saved bravely at the feet of Sam Hind as a free kick was played into Runcorn’s six yard box.

On the stroke of half time Runcorn’s Francois Antonie fired a shot wide of 1874’s goal as had Shaun Weaver in the 4th minute.

Two minutes after the restart 1874 took the lead when Smith met a Gardner free kick to volley the ball past a helpless Reid from six yards.

Antonie fired a shot across the face of 1874’s goal just before the hour mark. Just after the hour Sam Hare fired a shot over the Runcorn bar as did Smith from a free kick before 1874 doubled their lead in the 79th minute.

Gardner slipped the ball to Kyle Phipps, rounding the Runcorn defence and cutting inside the 1874 teenager from a tight angle drilled the ball in between Reid and his near post to open his account for the club.

Matt Woolley completed the scoring in the 89th minute, Gardner played a free kick low into Runcorn’s six yard area where Woolley beat Reid to the ball steering it into the net from close range.

As the game entered stoppage time 1874 goalkeeper Tony Aghayere pulled off a top class flying one handed save to palm away a long range Weaver spot.

1874 – Aghayere, Connor, Russell, Lever, Johnston, Ormrod ( M Woolley 66), Hind, Smith, McGowan (Phipps 69), Parker (Hare 60), Gardner. Subs not used L Jackson, Koral

RUNCORN – Reid, Wainwright (Garbe 50), Turner, Thelwall, James, Rodgers (Bandell Childs 60), Byrnes (Jennings 80), Weaver, France, Antoine, Exell. Subs not used McManus, Jarrett.

GOALS – 1874 Smith 47, Phipps 79, Woolley 89


Man of the match selected by match sponsor STEVE PARKER = Aaron Smith


1874 Northwich vs Whitchurch Alport

1874 Northwich 1 v 0 Whitchurch Alport

25th April 2019

by Matt Waters

After a 4-game winless run, 1874 managed to get over the line and secure a 1-0 victory against the side from Shropshire at the 4th time of attempting to fulfil the fixture at the St LukesBarton Stadium.

With this being the 3rd scheduled game out of 4 to be played this week, 1874 still named a strong starting 11 as the green and blacks were searching for only their second league win this month after beating Barnoldswick Town by 2 goals to nil.

The game as a whole once again had a strong feel of a typical end of season tie with nothing but pride at stake for either sidein what should be a good-natured tie. However, this feeling was marred by 2 serious incidents which saw 3 red cards given by the referee.

2 of these cards came just before the 15-minute mark as Mark Jones (1874) and Darren Campion (Alport) were caught grappling off the ball which resulted in altercations from both sets of players and some unsavoury scenes. However, the referee deemed Mark Jones and Darren Campion to be the only players worthy of cards and they both saw red, with many players lucky to escape bookings in a game that lacked chances up to this point.

The rest of the half continued in the same fashion as it started with 1874 dominating position but failing to create any clear-cut chances to break through the resilient Whitchurch defence who were now a man down. However just before half time 1874 broke the deadlock as a floated ball from Matty Russell on the left-hand side found right winger Mike Koral at the back post who’s half volley from just outside of the 6-yardbox nestled into the bottom corner to give the greens the lead at the break.

After the restart the half began slowly with once again 1874 controlling the game and dominating possestion but struggling to find the final ball to get a clear shot on goal. However, Whitchurch were by no means out of the game and nearly drew level as Leon Ashman rose at the back post but his header after 56 minutes failed to trouble Tony Aghayere and 74 remained in front.

The introduction of creative midfielder Aaron Smith, 10 minutes from time, made sure 1874 held their lead and almost played a key role in doubling it as a through ball played into the feet of McGowan whose effort was saved at point blank range by David Parton. The chances didn’t stop there for 1874 as Matt Woolley’s sweetly struck effort from 25 yards out clipped the post and Taylor Kennerley couldn’t quite latch on to a Sam Hind cross which saw the ball run all the way and out of play.

However, a quiet second half with no real bad tackles was completely overshadowed. A reckless challenge in the 93rdminute saw Alport’s Dylan Bath see red after he flew into a challenge bringing down Taylor Kennerley in what looked a serious injury and the referee blew for full time before tempers flared once again.

Thankfully Taylor’s injury isn’t as serious as first thought although he is left with cuts and swelling. This result sees 1874 pick up our first win in 4 games in our penultimate game at St Lukes Barton Stadium.

1874-Aghayere, Hind, Russell (Connor 82), Lever, Jackson, Jones (RED 14), Woolley, Parker (Smith 82), Koral, McGowan, Kennerley. Subs not used, Ormrod, Phipps and Gardener

Whitchurch Alport- Parton, Minshall, Chilcott, Campion (RED 14), Ashman, Goddard, Pickerill, Bath (RED 93), Hughes, Walsh, Johns. Subs not used, Bridge and Street.

GOAL- 1874 Mike Koral, 40th Minute



1874 Northwich vs Charnock Richard


By Garry Clarke

 1874 Northwich kicked off a typical end of season affair with Charnock Richard in spectacular style taking the lead in the first minute.

Sam Hare delivered a long diagonal pass into the path of Taylor Kennerley who cut inside to drill the ball past Charnock Keeper Kyle Haslam.

Jack Pritchard went close to adding a second in the 10th minute but his header from a free kick scrapped the top of the bar.

The visitors drew level in controversial circumstances in the 16th minute. Their first attack of the game resulted in a corner which when played into the 1874 penalty area struck a green shirted defender.

Referee Michael Crusham pointed to the penalty spot, amidst protests from several 1874 players the man in black consulted with his assistant and, with VAR not available at St Luke’s Barton Stadium, confirmed his original decision.

Carl Grimshaw successfully dispatched his spot kick.

Grimshaw went close again ten minutes later flicking a header just wide of the target, before Haslam tipped an Aaron Smith shot over the bar, from the resulting corner Mark Jones was just off target with a header.

There was little goalmouth action in the second half of an encounter between two evenly matched mid table teams playing on a difficult dusty pitch in high temperatures.

Just before the hour mark Scott McGowan raced onto a Lee Jackson pass played over the Charnock backline, 1874’s leading goalscorer fired in a shot from a tight angle which blocked at the near post by Haslam who a few minutes later watched a Callum Gardner shot from outside the area just clear his cross bar.

Grimshaw, the league’s leading goalscorer, through he had secured the three points for his side in the 82nd minute. Meeting a cross at the far post with a powerful header a couple of yards from goal he was about to celebrate when 1874 goalkeeper Tony Aghayere flew across the goal to brilliantly turn the ball around the post.

1874 – Aghayere, Hind. Russell, Pritchard (M Woolley 75), L Jackson, Jones, Gardner, Smith (Parker ht), McGowan, Hare, Kennerley (Koral 62). Subs not used Ormrod, Parker.

CHARNOCK – Haslam, Dashli, Walker, Young, Turner, O’Farrell, Davison (Dodd 90), Fairhurst, Grimshaw, Oxley (Noblet 69), Higham (Morris 62).

GOALS – 1874 Kennerley 1 Charnock Grimshaw 16 pen


1874 man of the match selected by match sponsor PETE BAKER = Sam Hare