Berry Street Garage Stadium - 1874 Northwich F.C.

Bootle vs 1874 Northwich



BOOTLE 2-0 1874 NORTHWICH                     HSL PREMIER              2NDMARCH 2019


1874 Northwich’s three game unbeaten run came to a disappointing end as Bootle extended their HSL Premier Division winning run to twelve games. Not having dropped a league point since mid November, second paced Bootle struck twice in the first half to claim the spoils and record their first ever home win against 1874.


A scrappy opening saw both teams struggle to adapt to the conditions with a strong wind gusting diagonally across a bumpy pitch.


In the opening exchanges Bootle goalkeeper Ryan Jones turned a dangerous cross from Mike Koral over his bar, while Carl Peers blazed a shot high over 1874’s bar.


Koral combined with Sam Hare in the 28th minute to set up Scott McGowan whose shot was blocked by Jones. Clearing the resultant corner, Bootle broke down the right wing; Kieran Halligan delivered a cross into the 1874 penalty area where Steven Jones smashed the ball into the net from eight yards.


From the re-start Taylor Kennerley raced down the left wing, cutting inside he rifled a shot into the side netting from a tight angle.


Bootle forced the ball into 1874’s net on the half hour mark from a corner, but the goal did not stand as the referee spotted a foul on goalkeeper Tony Aghayere.


In the 34th minute 1874 were awarded a free kick on the edge of Bootle’s area. McGowan drove the free kick under a jumping defensive wall; Ryan Jones saved well but pushed the ball into the path of Matt Woolley who hit the rebound into the side netting.


Moments later Matt Russell swung in a cross from the right which found Hare whose goal bound shot struck Bootle defender Dan Murphy and flew behind for a corner.


Throughout the game 1874 enjoyed the greater share of possession as the home side was content to let their visitors pass the ball around at the back, and keeping their disciplined shape they picked off passes as 1874 tried to move forward and hit on the break.


Bootle scored their second goal in the 40th minute. Intercepting a wayward pass in the middle of the pitch they broke down the right from where another Halligan cross found Peers who swept the ball home.


The second half started with Aghayere diving to his left to keep out a shot from Michael Carberry.


Referee Anthony Ball disallowed a 1874 “goal” in the 60th minute when one of his assistants flagged McGowan offside as Jack Irlam headed home from a Kennerley cross following a corner.


With 1874 committing more men forward in search of a way back into the game they left extra space at the back for Bootle to counterattack.


In the 88th minute Bootle cleared a corner with a long ball downfield leaving Peers one on one with Aghayere. The Bootle man slipped the ball past the keeper, hitting the post the ball rebounded back to Peers who with an empty goal at his mercy screwed his follow up shot wide.  A minute later, Peers won the ball on the edge of 1874’s area and smashed a shot against the bar.


BOOTLE – R Jones, Halligan, Carberry, Murphy, Cartright, Millington, Clark, S Jones (Kori-Butler 65 – Hughes 90), Peers, Cox (Foy 58). Subs not used McGowan, Hoy.


1874 – Aghayere, Russell, Tinning (Hind ht), Pritchard, Jones, Irlam (Gardner 70), Koral, M Woolley, McGowan, Hare, Kennerley. Subs not used Meadowcroft, Waite-Jackson, Ormrod.


GOALS – Bootle S Jones 29, Peers 40


ATTENDANCE 245                               REFEREE A Ball



City of Liverpool vs 1874 Northwich



In an end to end encounter the final result ensured that 1874,s welcome unbeaten run continued and in all fairness their endeavours on the day probably should have resulted in a win to avenge the defeat by their hosts earlier this season.

1874 may have started the game still without the availability of a few regular players but the team took the game City of Liverpool straight from the kick off and indeed they may have opened the scoring as early as the 5th minute when a good delivery into the box by Gardner was headed just over the bar by Pritchard.

Lead by skipper Matt Woolley 1874 worked hard to gain control of the midfield and this was certainly achieved for the most part of the game. Lucas Weir also certainly showed his potential as he put in a mature performance and grew in confidence as the game evolved.

For their part the home side certainly showed their intentions for the game from the first minute and although they had four players booked they could not have had any complaints had one of their players been shown a red card. To their credit 1874 simply got on with the job of playing football.

Weir hit a good shot just wide from the edge of the box whilst COL also threatened on a couple of occasions but. 1874,s defence well marshalled by Mark Jones held firm.

COL had a good chance to open their account after 20 minutes but after the loose ball was knocked around in the area the entail effort on goal went well wide. It was becoming very difficult to produce a good spectacle game of football with constant stoppages and free kicks but in the 35th minute COL had a good chance and 1874 had to thank Connor for saving the day with a decisive headed clearance,

However a few minutes later COL took the lead albeit with some controversy. After an 1874 attack had been broken up on the left flank a long ball forward by the COL fullback appeared to go out of play for a throwing but the Assistant referee thought otherwise and as the resultant long cross from right to left found Cairns, 1874 couldn’t prevent the prolific Goalscorer from hitting a low drive into the far bottom corner of the net.

HT 1-0

After the interval 1874 quickly showed their intentions by taking the game to this hosts and as a result they were quickly rewarded with an equalising game. Weir was the architect behind the move into the opposing half and when his strong shot on target rebounded out off the keeper the ever alert McGowan pounced quickly to prod the ball home for a deserved equaliser in the 46th minute.

Try as both sides did there were no further goals in the game although there was certainly plenty of effort and at the end of the day a draw was perhaps a fair reflection of the game.

Bootle vs 1874 Northwich



A 51st minute strike by Jake Parker was enough for 1874 Northwich to win in the Hallmark Security League for the first time since August.

Having played far fewer league games than other clubs due to their cup exploits, 1874 entered the game situated in the Premier Division relegation zone but the three hard earned points gained at Bootle moved them up to 16th in the table.

With strong winds gusting across the TDP Solicitors Stadium hindering attempts to play free flowing passing football, both sides worked hard to keep the 203 strong crowd entertained.

In the early minutes Scott McGowan went close twice; having a shot blocked by Bootle goalkeeper Jordan Gidley and seeing another effort clear the bar. At the other end Connor Millington and Ryan Cox were both just of target, while Michael Ordish scrapped the top of 1874’s bar with a free kick.

Jack Lever delivered a tantalizing cross from the right wing in between the retreating Bootle backline and Keeper Gidley which was inches out of the reach of Parker sliding in at the back post.

Connor Ellis-Pratt shot wide of the 1874 goal just before the half hour mark and minutes later Greg Hall made a good block with his feet at point blank range to deny the same player.

Moments before half time, an Adam Whitlock cross caused panic in the Bootle goalmouth. The ball bounced up off McGowan who directed it towards goal forcing Gidley to tip the ball over the bar.

After an even first half 1874 dominated the opening exchanges of the second half and made the breakthrough six minutes after the break.

The ball shot out of a thunderous midfield clash, travelling twenty yards it landed in the path of Parker, who moved into the Bootle area before calmly slotting it past Gidley.

1874 continued to apply the pressure but had to be careful not to be caught on the break by the home side, which defended well to keep 1874 at bay.

In the 75th minute Mark Jones met a Parker cross with a shot which was blocked on the edge of the area. The ball rebounded to Bootle substitute Ben Hodkinson who raced down field, closing in on goal his shot was blocked by the covering Ryan Mitchell.

A few minutes later a Whitlock corner caused panic in the Bootle goalmouth, in the ensuing scramble McGowan directed a shot towards goal but it hit a Bootle defender on the goal line before being cleared.

Third placed Bootle took control of the last fifteen minutes as they searched for an equaliser, but attack after attack was foiled by an outstanding 1874 rearguard which when breached was backed up by Hall, who pulled off a couple of good saves and dealt with crosses confidently.

Bootle’s best chance came deep into stoppage time. A low cross from the left was fired across the six yard box to Cox at the far post, Bootle’s top scorer, with 12 goals to his name already this season, with the goal at his mercy steered the ball wide from close range.

BOOTLE – Gidley, Coughlan (Kelly 83), Halligan, Murphy, Rendell, Woolcott, Ordish, Loughlin, Ellis-Pratt (Milne 83), Milington (Hodkinson 73), Cox. Subs not used Powell, Taylor.

1874 – Hall, Lever, L Jackson, Pritchard, Mitchell, Jones, Whitlock, M Woolley, McGowan (Riley 89), Parker (Woods 78), Kennerley (Hind 60). Subs not used Houghton, Waite-Jackson.

GOAL – 1874 Parker 51


Bootle vs 1874 Northwich

Shut out at the Delta Taxi’s Stadium

1874 were left rueing missed chances after a goalless draw as title rivals Bootle put another twist in a very open title race.

Mark Jones missed out due to injury, with new signing Jack Lever replacing him in the back 4.

1874 made a fast start to proceedings, Neil Chappell fired an effort goalwards but saw it go wide of the target, Bootle’s Ryan Cox then saw an effort clip of the post when Hall had it covered.

Northwich were controlling possession now, and testing Bootle’s back line, Matt Woolley forced Bootle’s stopper Jones in to a reflex save to palm the ball away after the captain clipped it to the back post with the ball destined for the net.

Neil Chappell was next to force Jones in to a save, his drive from midfield created space and his effort was straight down the middle of the goal


The second half began and 1874 made their intentions clear, McGowan with some great work out right, cut in and bent a left footed effort which cannoned off the post and fortuitously into the gloves of Jones

Another clear chance came and went begging, Sam Hare this time picked out by Neil Chappell, the midfielders volley was wild and went harmlessly wide

Captain Matt Woolley forced Jones in a to a great fingertip save to deny 1874 taking the lead on the 65th minute

1874 had Greg Hall to thank in quick succession, he got down low to make a superb reflex save to deny Ryan Cox after he combined with Carl Peers and then moments later Carl Peers picked up the ball 25 yards from goal and unleashed a pile driver, which Hall made a save for the cameras by tipping it wide away from the top corner of the 1874 net

Joe Woolley, on as substitute making his second debut for the club, came close twice, cutting in from the wing and driving an effort narrowly wide, with the keeper beaten

Arguably the best chances of the game fell to the Greens in the last minutes of the game, first Sam Hind couldn’t keep his header down from a corner, then another corner was whipped in and flicked on by Chappell, where the ball agonisingly rolled across the goalline and out for a goalkick.


1874 | Hall, Lever (Jack Woolley 83′), Mitchell, Thomas, Russell, Chappell, M.Woolley (C), Hare, Hind, T.Bailey, McGowan (Joe Woolley 70′)

UNUSED | R.Bailey, Carroll, Tulloch.

Bootle vs 1874 Northwich


Top scorer Matt Beadle bagged a brace as 1874 remained in second place in the league, two points behind leaders Runcorn Linnets, after beating 4th place Bootle FC at the Delta Taxi’s Stadium.

The conditions were horrendous and both sides knew they were in for a difficult game, but it was the Greens who got off to a fast start, with Beadle turning after a flick on from Brandon, to find Brooks on the edge of the Bootle area, he tried to place his shot in the bottom corner but it skimmed wide.

1874 continued to be on top for the early exchanges, as Mitchell then landed a header on the roof of the Bootle goal and Brooks having an effort blocked by the full back when he was crossing from the by-line.

But it was Bootle who took the lead in the 6th minute through Jackson Ellis when his effort was deflected off an 1874 past debutant Greg Hall.

1874 were back on level terms in the 12th minute, as Wellstead cleverly flicked the ball into the path of Beadle who made no mistake as he smashed the ball on the half volley past the home keeper.

The game continued at a frantic pace with 1874 pushing forward and creating more chances. Stuart Wellstead had the best chance as the keeper came to claim the ball, he couldn’t get there and Wellstead had a chance to volley in to an open net but unfortunately his effort went past the wrong side of the post.

The second half started as the first had ended, end to end, and within a minute 1874 took the lead as the impressive debutant – Ben Brooks – made full advantage of a mistake by the Bootle who had spilled the ball allowing the alert Brooks to roll the ball into the empty net

Just four minutes later, the lead was increased as Beadle scored the goal of the game, placing a brilliant effort with his left boot into the top left hand corner of the goal,

It was nearly four a few minutes later, as Beadle turned provider for Mike Brandon, but Brandon’s header was turned away for a corner.

Bootle are a tough side to beat and they never give up and as a result they gradually began to get a foot back in the game, and in the 83rd minute, they reduced the deficit as a long pass found Tom Peterson who broke the 1874 offside trap and placed the ball neatly round Hall to score.,

1874 defended resolutely, and saw the game out for a deserved victory.

1874:Hall, Connor, Farnworth, Mitchell, James, Woolley (C), Ward, Wellstead, Brandon, Brooks & Beadle.

SUBS: Chappell for Brandon 78mins UNUSED SUBS: Hindle, Lomas, Cookson, Jackson.

Attendance: 180

Bootle vs 1874 Northwich

1874 extended their impressive undefeated run of games to fourteen with this hard fought draw at The Delta Taxi Stadium, Bootle on a wet but far from miserable Tuesday evening.

Manager Ian Street opted to revert to a back four and so Lee Duckworth returned to the starting line up as did Neil Chappell in midfield following his one match suspension and this meant that Lee Jones and Daley Woods started on the bench. The home side started the game at a fast pace and initially took the game to 1874 with O’Connor, in particular, looking threatening in most of their attacks and indeed it was he who almost opened the scoring as early as the ninth minute but he was thwarted by an excellent well-timed tackle by Danny Thomas on the edge of the area, which allowed Mitchell to clear the danger. Moments later and it was Neil Chappell’s turn to show his defensive skills as he too made a brilliant tackle this time to prevent McGrane from scoring. In the opening quarter Bootle seemed more comfortable with the conditions as they moved the ball about well in defence, through their midfield and in to their attacking players and 1874 needed to be strong and resilient with their defensive work whilst Ward, Woolley and Chappell tried to get a stronghold in midfield. It was quickly becoming a fascinating contest and on 25 minutes McGrane had another good chance to score but he shot weakly and Conkie saved easily. It was five minutes later when 1874 had their first real sniff of a goal opportunity when Ward beat off the attentions of two opponents before hitting his shot from 30 yards wide of the target. Five minutes later and the persistence of Chappell nearly brought the opening goal but his quick left-footed shot, following his excellent run forward was well saved by Moran in the home goal low down at his near post. Matty Ward was getting more and more into the game and five minutes before the interval he dispossessed Roberts in midfield 40 yards out, quickly moved another 10 yards forward but once again his well-hit shot was off target. The half closed with Bootle threatening on two occasions to open their account for the evening but once again it was Mitchell and then Thomas who came to the aid of their side and the half ended amazingly with no goals. Bootle came out of the traps quickly and strongly for the second half and in the 46th minute O’Connor nearly scored but his clever flick was deflected for a corner. However, he was not to be denied his goal and from the resultant corner he scored easily when he was allowed too much space in the penalty area. This reverse stirred 1874 into more action and they slowly started to take the game to the home side. In the 51st minute, Paul Connor looked to have equalised when he headed home an excellent cross from Beadle but he was adjudged to be off side. Almost immediately, 1874 could have been two down when the home captain Kilroy hit a free kick well but Conkie managed to turn it away for a corner. This game was certainly one for the spectators to enjoy and perhaps to “nail bite” as well as it moved at a pace from end to end throughout and after good work from Tandy on the left and his excellent cross into the path of Ward the equaliser would surely have come but Ward’s control, for once, just let him down and the chance had gone. Moments later and excellent work by Chappell and Ward left Tandy with an opportunity but his effort was well saved by Moran and almost immediately play switched to the other end and Sherlock perhaps should have done better when presented with an excellent chance from 22 yards but he hit his shot wide After 66 minutes Paul Connor was substituted and replaced by Daley Woods . Minutes later Ward’s trickery earned 1874 a free kick on the edge of the box and just 20 yards out which allowed 1874’s newly discovered free kick expert – Lee Duckworth – the opportunity to once again show his skills. Up he stepped and everyone must have thought he had scored but his almost perfect effort rebounded off the crossbar with the keeper a mere spectator! Eventually the equalising goal that was justly deserved arrived as Chappell finished off a glorious move sweeping the ball home from ten yards as he met a perfectly delivered cross from Ward in the 72nd minute Soon after Woolley had a shot well saved and then Ward once again showed his all-round ability by beating a defender before finding the marauding Chappell 30 yards out and his powerful shot thundered against the bar before bouncing away to safety! However, although 1874 were seemingly well on top at this stage they still had to be aware of Bootle’s attacking threat and indeed on 78 minutes Bootle restored their one-goal advantage when McGrane scored the goal that perhaps his input on the night deserved. Many teams would have felt sorry for themselves at this juncture but not 1874 and certainly not their Manager who continued to urge his troops on. After 82 minutes last season’s top scorer Mike Brandon was brought on to replace Kevin McGrath as Ian Street went again with a back three to allow more strike power up front and wow did this plan pay off handsomely! In the 82nd minute Chappell, Beadle and Ward worked more trickery on the left hand side and eventually worked the ball out to Woods on the right flank. Woods tricked his marker advanced to the by-line and then delivered the perfect cross to the on rushing Brandon who crashed the ball home from close range much to the delight of the travelling 1874 faithful supporters and his team mates. This finale was almost surpassed in the dying seconds when 1874 had a free kick wide on the left and Daley Woods stepped up to hit another thunderous shot towards goal but amazingly for the third time on the night Bootle were saved by the ball hitting the cross bar and rebounding to safety. So near yet so far in some ways but this was an excellent game of football by two equally matched sides and probably enjoyed by everyone who was lucky enough to have been there to see it 1874 Team: Conkie; Mitchell; Duckworth: McGrath; Thomas: Connor; Chappell; Woolley; Beadle; Ward and Tandy. Subs: Brandon for McGrath (82 mins) and Woods for (Connor (66 mins) unused subs: Jones and Stewart Goals: Chappell(72) and |Brandon (87) Attendance 207 Referee Shaun Mohan