WEC Group Anchor Ground - 1874 Northwich F.C.

AFC Darwen vs 1874 Northwich




1874 made it three wins on the trot with this comfortable win at Darwen on Monday evening.

Understandably the management duo had to “ring the changes” re the starting line-up and this they did by resting the centre back partnership of Mitchell and Pritchard so allowing Danny Thomas and Danny Meadowcroft to start the game at the heart of the 1874 defence whilst Scott McGowan was also “rested” and this allowed Kyle Riley to start the game leading the attack.

1874 were quick out of the blocks and took the game to their hosts creating several good chances in the opening quarter but the home keeper was able to deal with the efforts on goal until 1874 took the lead in the 16th minute when the keeper could very reasonably have expected more help from his defenders who failed on several occasions to clear the ball before Meadowcroft opened the scoring by volleying the ball home from inside the penalty area for his third goal of the season and just three minutes later his team mate Thomas added a second goal – his first of the season – when, as with the first goal of the game this was also, scored from inside a packed area

HT: 0-2

After the interval the home side obviously had to score as soon as possible to get back into the game but they came up against a well-drilled 1874 defence of Connor; Thomas; Meadowcroft and Russell as well as their “ever alert” keeper Greg Hall who was called upon to deal with a good few attacks from the opposition as well as the only error on the night from Thomas who lost the ball 30 yards from goal and was relieved to see Hall deal with the threat on goal.

1874 continued to press forward in search of another goal and their pace on both flanks was causing problems for the home defence. A much-welcomed third goal arrived in the 71st minute when Thomas scored again following good approach work by |Riley and Foran.

Whilst the three points were now firmly “in the bag” 1874 continued to push forward at every opportunity and Riley came close on two occasions to net a goal that his work rate on the night certainly merited.

1874: Hall; Connor; Russell; Thomas; Meadowcroft; Jones (sub Freakes 35); Hind (sub Fallon 74) : Matt Woolley (Capt); Riley; Kazim-Jackson; & Kennerley (sub Woods 65). Unused subs: Lever & Jack Woolley

Referee: Carl Rooney Attendance: 83

AFC Darwen vs 1874 Northwich


Losing 1-0 at half time 1874 Northwich staged a second half comeback to win 3-1 at the Anchor Ground.

Although both sides started brightly and were committed to attack from the kick off, neither goalkeeper was troubled in the opening period as defenders intercepted passes with ease as both sides failed to find the final ball required to set their attackers free.

Darwen’s Ben Procter was the first custodian called into action, pulling off a double save to twice deny Taylor Kennerley in the 20th minute.

15 minutes later Adam Whitlock fired in a shot from the edge of the area which was deflected wide of the target by a defender for the first in a series of 1874 corners in a matter of minutes which the home side struggled to clear.

Having withstood 1874’s onslaught on their goal, AFC Darwen requiring a point to ensure their Premier Division survival broke away in the 38th minute with Jamie Edwards crossing to Karl Turner whose shot was saved at the foot of the post by Greg Hall.

Tyler Edwards shot across the face of Darwen’s goal before the home side broke down field
In the 40th minute, Turner crossed from the right, with 1874’s defence stretched the ball found Nick Hepple unmarked at the far post. Despite getting a hand on the ball, Hall was unable to prevent Hepple from opening the scoring from close range.

As the half drew to a close, Darwen cleared a free kick from their area, Jack Lever returned the ball into the danger area finding Tom Bailey, 1874’s leading scorer controlled the ball, stepped inside a defender and smashed a shot against the cross bar.

As the first half entered time added on Paul Connor’s long ball over the Darwen defence dropped into the path of Bailey, who with only the keeper to beat was unable to control the ball allowing Procter to collect.

1874 started the second half on the front foot with Bailey having four attempts on goal blocked by desperate Darwen defenders in the first five minutes.

1874 continued to dominate the second stanza as Darwen, whose Premier Division survival was confirmed by results elsewhere, posed little threat and were reduced to ten men in the 69th minute when goalscorer Hepple was red carded after committing his second yellow card offence.

In the 58th minute Mark Jones broke out of defence, he ended his run by sliding a pass into the path of Bailey; however Procter reacted quickly to dive at Bailey’s feet and smoother the ball.

1874 drew level in the 61st minute; Scott McGowan ran onto to a through ball and slotted it past Procter from 12 yards to register his 21stgoal of the season. 1874 hit the front in the 75th minute. Whitlock reacted first to swoop on a loose ball in the Darwen area to steer it past Procter.

Two minutes later Whitlock fired a free kick from the left wing into Darwen’s area, Matt Woolley won the race to the ball diverting it past Procter at the near post to register his first goal of the season.

DARWEN: Procter, Wedge, Cunliffe (Cole 59), Edwards, Douglas, Allen, Ralph, Turner, Hepple, Nabell, Russell (Banks 59). Subs not used Scott, Malone.

1874: Hall, Connor, Russell (Edwards 26), M Woolley, Lever, L Jones, Whitlock, M Jones, Bailey, McGowan (Bove 78), Kennerley (J Wooley 78). Subs not used Clayton, Tulloch.

GOALS Darwen Hepple 40 1874 McGowan 61, Whitlock 75, M Woolley 77

ATTENDANCE 177 REFEREE Peter Shacklady

[envira-gallery id=”8498″]

AFC Darwen vs 1874 Northwich

AFC Darwen 3-1 1874 Northwich

NWCFL Premier Division

12th September 2015
1874 Northwich crashed to their second league defeat of the season going down 3-1 to AFC Darwen at the Anchor Ground. Bookended by two controversial incidents, this was a hard fought action packed encounter which kept the 194 strong crowd fully entertained.

After Darwen’s Nick Hepple had a shot blocked by Ryan Mitchell and the follow up saved by Tom Hunt, 1874 debutant Josh Stadnicki headed a 7th minute corner into Darwen’s goal. However, neither referee nor assistant saw the ball was a foot over the line before it was hooked clear by a desperate defender and waved play on.

The home side took the lead in the 16th minute when a cross from the right was met at the far post by Paul Coote whose shot was deflected past Hunt.

A minute later Darwen’s Adam Douglas sliced a cross over his own bar, before Darwen launched a series of crosses and long balls in to the 1874 area. Coote shot inches wide moments before he had a shot blocked on the line by Paul Connor and the follow up shot saved by Hunt.

Despite being hindered by too many miss placed passes, 1874 worked hard and started to come more into the game with Ryan Mitchell heading narrowly wide from a corner and Neil Chappell driving a dangerous cross across the face of the Darwen goal.

After the break play switched from end to end as the game became stretched with both teams looking for goals. In the opening ten minutes of the second half Danny Shannon had a shot saved by Darwen goalkeeper Ben Procter, while Hunt saved well to deny Connor Gaul and Aaron Kirk fired a shot from distance a bit too high.

Gaul increased the hosts advantage with a well taken goal in the 57th minute.

1874 halved the lead two minutes later when Proctor failed to deal with a free kick lofted into the box by Matty Ward. Mike Brandon headed the ball on and the ball deflected off a Darwen arm and in at the far post.

Both sides created numerous half chances before the game exploded in the 80th minute. Approaching the 1874 area Hepple was brought down by Stadnicki, as the free kick was played into area the two players clashed off the ball. With Stadnicki writhing on the floor in agony, players came together pushing and shoving each other, Referee Justin Hayes showed Kirk a red card for his involvement in the incident and dismissed 1874 manager Ian Street from the side line.

As the game entered its final stages, 1874 launched a last ditch attempt to level the scores. Matt Woolley played in Matt Beadle who tried to lift the ball over Proctor, but the Darwen keeper pulled off a brilliant point blank save. With every 1874 player, bar Hunt, in the final third of the pitch, the ball broke to Gaul who raced away before setting up player/manager Neil Prince who calmly slotted home Darwen’s third goal.

DARWEN – Proctor, Wood, Johnstone, Birchall, Douglas, Lonsdale, Lynch, Roberts (Prince 71), Coote, Hepple (Taylor 80), Gaul. Subs not used Pegler, McKenna, Windle.

1874 – Hunt, Connor (McNicholl 69), Ledwards, Mitchell, Stadnicki, Chappell, Woolley, Kirk, Brandon, Ward (Beadle 69), Shannon (Jackson 67). Subs not used James, Conkie.

GOALS – Darwen Coote 16, Gaul 57, Prince 88 1874 – Own Goal 59


AFC Darwen vs 1874 Northwich

Ian Street’s side secured their sixth win on the bounce with a good all round team performance at AFC Darwen to top the form table in the NWCFL

They have now won ten of their last eleven league games and sit in third position – four points behind Formby with a game in hand Ryan Mitchell returned to the line up having recovered from injury whilst Sakeel Abdullah made his debut. After a tentative opening ten minutes from both sides 1874 almost took the lead when good work from Wellstead presented Abdullah with an excellent opportunity but his shot cleared the bar.two minutes later and the same two players combined well once more with the same result. However, 1874 did take the lead in the 17th minute from the penalty spot following a needless handball – Wellstead dispatching the spot kick comfortably in to the right hand corner. Before the restart the home side were reduced to ten men as one of their players was shown a red card for persistent arguing with the referee. However, 1874 didn’t dominate proceedings after this as play switched from end to end with both sides having half chances. The best chance for 1874 was after good work by Bailey and Abdullah but after Wellstead was presented with a chance his finishing was not as good as his penalty had been earlier. As the half time interval approached 1874 finally scored their much-needed second goal and this was scored by Abdullah as he followed up Brandon’s shot which bounced off the keeper and the debutant cooly passed the ball into the net in the 45th minute 1874 started the second half as they had finished the first with a goal in the 46th minute and this time the scorer was Matty Ward as he responded quickly to a shot from Brandon that rebounded off the keeper. Ward rounded the keeper with ease before slotting the ball home much to the delight of the large following of 1874 supporters. After this the home goal was threatened several times in just a few minutes as first Ryan Stewart saw an excellent shot well saved and then Brandon was through on goal only to shoot narrowly wide. At the other end, Ryan Mitchell cleared an effort off the line as Darwen continued to open their account to get back into the game. But on 70 minutes it was leading scorer Brandon’s turn to get on the scoresheet and he did so with the best goal of the game. Ward was the provider with some cute skill before slotting the ball into the path of Brandon who fired home from 14 yards to make it 4-0. With 18 minutes remaining David Short came on to replace Wellstead and he very nearly scored the fifth goal but his snap shot from 20 yards out was well saved. Soon after there was a fifth goal but it turned out to be a consolation goal for the home side following some lacklustre defending by 1874 which allowed Gaul to prod the ball home as he was unmarked on the far post. This was the final goal of the game although both sides did create further chances. Credit must go to Darwen who continued to compete well despite being a man short for much of the game but 1874 deserved to take the points. Central defenders Farnworth and Thomas were outstanding for 1874 and the management,players and supporters now look forward to the weekend when they meet up with Atherton Collieries. 1874: Conkie, Mitchell, Farnworth, Thomas, Duckworth, Wellstead, Bailey, Stewart, Abdullah, Brandon and Ward. Subs Short replaced Wellstead and Lunn replaced Abdullah – unused: Bowyer, Woods and Aston