1874 Northwich vs FC United of Manchester | 1874 Northwich F.C.

1874 Northwich vs FC United of Manchester



Mike Brandon’s hat-trick was a highlight as 1874 Northwich reached the end of their pre-season preparations without suffering a defeat.

The front man, who scored 37 times last season, was clinical again as the home team improved their summer goals tally to 22 in an encouraging performance at the Barton Stadium.

However, 1874 were slow out of the blocks and found themselves a goal down after just three minutes when the impressive Nelson Mota rolled in a loose ball that had been spilled by goalkeeper James Fossdyke.

Brandon claimed the first of his treble after 10 minutes, as it was his turn to punish a goalkeeping error at the other end.

Then from 1874’s next attack Brandon expertly steered his header home from an excellent cross by Ryan Stewart .

1874’s third goal, and also Brandon’s third, followed on 35 minutes and this time he was left in space to connect with a Connor centre sent across the face of goal.

Rick Bailey say a good effort just go wide of the post as 1874 continued to take the game to their visitors but there were no more first half goals.

The game was much closer after the interval, during which 1874 made eight changes and their guests also made many changes.

One of the Reds’ substitutes, Tunde Owolabi, fluffed two simple chances in the space of seconds.

First he shot too high after Mota had escaped into space down the left, then he slammed into the side netting from an acute angle after skipping around Fossdyke.

After these misses it was almost inevitable that if there was to be a fifth goal then it would be to 1874 and so it was when after 66 minutes, replacement David Short quickly controlled an excellent cross from Daley Woods on the right before stabbing the ball home from inside the penalty area.

Matt Woolley forced substitute goalkeeper Nick Culkin to save smartly to his right after Joel Igenoza had pulled back from the byline before FC United spurned another opportunity when Gideon Dosunmu sprinted clear only to fire wide with the empty goal at his mercy.

However FC United did claim the final goal of the evening when with four minutes remaining Owolabi’s drilled effort was fumbled in by Fossdyke.

1874 Fossdyke (GK), Mitchell (Trialist 46), Thomas (Broadhead 46), Farnworth, Aston (Duckworth 46), Connor (Woods 46), Woolley (Hamer 46), Bailey, Stewart (Abdullah 46), Brandon (Igenoza 46), Beadle (Short 46)

Referee Ian Hurdle Attendance 453


Date Time Season
Tue 29 Jul 2014 7:45 pm 2014/15


Barton Stadium
The Barton Stadium, Wharton Rd, Winsford CW7 3AE, UK
Item added to cart.
0 items - £0.00