1874 Northwich vs Silsden | 1874 Northwich F.C.

1874 Northwich vs Silsden




1874 comfortably secured another three points at the Barton Stadium on Wednesday evening in a game that, to say the least, contained many incidents. Once again 1874 started the game playing uphill. They do seem to score most of their goals when playing downhill – but on this occasion they managed to gain a two – nil half time lead much to the delight of their supporters and management team.

With having to play so many games in such a short space of time it obviously makes good sense to rest some players whilst at the same time allowing the manager to look at other new players as he starts to think more about his options for next season.

This meant that Simon Everall made his debut up front whilst the strong substitutes’ bench had Brandon, Lunn, Bayley, Stewart and Wellstead all itching to have some of the action.

1874 thought that they had opened the scoring as early as the 8th minute but having met a good cross from Chappell, Beadle was adjudged to have fouled the keeper as he headed the ball into the net.

In the first twenty minutes both sides really struggled to put their passes together but then on the half hour mark 1874 did take a deserved lead when Beadle fired the ball into the net from inside the penalty area after Ward hit a deep cross into the danger area. Beadle and the crowd didn’t have to wait too long for a second goal because in the 41st minute the striker’s bullet header hit the back of the net in a flash before the keeper could even move. This came as a result of a corner that had been won by good work involving Everall and Ward.

Silsden had an opportunity to get back into the game, but having beaten two defenders on a good forward run Nicholls saw his shot comfortably saved by Conkie. Shortly afterwards, their cause wasn’t helped after they were reduced to ten men – one of their defenders having committed two bookable offences inside two minutes!

Early in the second half, Everall had a good run down the left flank and created a good chance for himself but his shot was a weak one. Then Chappell played an inch-perfect pass from 25 yards into the path of Beadle and as the crowd prepared to applaud his hat trick a Silsden defender just managed to get a foot in to deflect the effort for a corner.

Only minutes later another excellent defence-splitting pass – this time a thirty yard one from Mitchell – produced the same result: another corner, However, from this corner 1874 scored their third goal of the evening courtesy of a strong header from Danny Thomas.

On 58 minutes Everall was replaced by Wellstead who didn’t waste any time getting involved in the game as he was the architect of the fourth goal setting Chappell clear and the midfielder didn’t hesitate in shooting home well from 18 yards.

A minute later and the visitors’ situation worsened as they were reduced to nine players as the referee issued a straight red card – presumably for dissent.

However, in a somewhat bizarre way, this seemed to lift the visitors resolve as they decided to hold a “high line” that thwarted 1874 on numerous occasions and one of the Referee’s Assistants had a busy period of “flag raising” as a good few 1874 players fell into the offside trap. Wellstead eventually did beat this trap but once again the brave Silsden keeper saved well.

Paul Connor was having an outstanding game on the right hand side and his energy levels never dropped as he worked tirelessly throughout. He found Wellstead with an inch-perfect pass but his shot was well over the target.

With seven minutes remaining the busy Silsden keeper who had played on despite being injured was forced to leave the proceedings after sustaining another injury and just a couple of minutes later the fifth goal arrived for 1874 when a penalty was awarded. Defender Ryan Mitchell hurried forward to “claim the prize” and despatched the kick easily into the top corner.

Skipper Matt Woolley then joined the party as he netted the sixth goal with a well-hit low strike from outside the area after Ward found him unmarked and keen to receive the ball direct from a corner.

Well into injury time the “perfect” evening for 1874 was slightly “spoiled” when Silsden scored a consolation goal through Wademan despite him appearing to have fouled Bayley. Following this goal there was very nearly a second for the visitors but Conkie was alert to the danger and saved well from a point blank drive.

Paul Connor was adjudged Man of the Match – a decision which went down extremely well with the 1874 supporters.

1874 can now “look forward” to another hectic period as they face five games in eight days but when enjoying a winning run – four successive wins with 18 goals scored and just 4 conceded – players seem to relish playing more and more.

Team: Conkie; Connor; Lomas; Mitchell, Thomas, Chappell; Woolley; Beadle; Everall; Ward and Ledwards – Substitutes: Wellstead for Everall(58); Bayley for Thomas (67) and Lunn for Beadle (77) – Subs not used: Brandon and Stewart

Referee: Shaun Mohan Attendance: 229

Man of the Match as chosen by Match Sponsor Andy England: Paul Connor


Date Time League Season
Wed 8 Apr 2015 7:45 pm NWCFL Premier Division 2014/15


St Lukes Barton Stadium
The Barton Stadium, Wharton Rd, Winsford CW7 3AE, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
1874 Northwich246

Item added to cart.
0 items - £0.00