Tranmere Rovers vs 1874 Northwich | 1874 Northwich F.C.

Tranmere Rovers vs 1874 Northwich




1874 Northwich’s first ever meeting with a Football League club ended with them exiting the Peak Associates Cheshire Senior Cup going down 1-0 to Tranmere Rovers in an entertaining quarter final tie.

Playing only their third competitive game of 2014, 1874 faced a strong Tranmere side which contained eight players with first team experience at a rain drenched Kirklands, venue of their first round victory over Cammell Laird. At times 1874 struggled to compete with the superior fitness of their full time counterparts, who dominated large parts of the game with a slick passing and movement style not encountered in the NWCFL First Division. A determined display by 1874 ensured they did not look out of their depth against a team used to playing several leagues higher, turning in a display which augers well for the remainder of their debut season.

1874 almost caught their hosts napping in the opening minutes when Rick Bailey ended a run into the heart of the Rovers defence by slipping the ball to Matty ward whose shot was deflected into the grateful arms of the gigantic 6’9” goalkeeper Jason Mooney.

Following that wake up call, the home side quickly settled into their rhythm and drew numerous top quality saves from 1874 goalkeeper Matt Conkie. However he was unable to prevent Antonie Boland from scoring the game’s only goal in the 18th minute. The tall centre back, who had a head start on everyone else, rose highest at a corner to power home a header. 1874 started to come more into the game and on the half hour mark could have been playing against ten men. Mike Brandon muscled his way past centre back Danny Holmes, once goal side of his opponent Brandon was hauled down by the experienced Holmes. Although five yards outside the area and being the last defender, Holmes was only shown a yellow card. The same punishment was handed to Conkie minutes later when he raced out of his area and brought down flying winger Abdulai Baggie. As the half drew to a close Brandon went close to equalising, clearing a Rovers corner 1874 swiftly broke down field, while being forced wide by the covering defence Brandon shot into the side netting.

The second half started with 1874 pushing forward in search of an equaliser. Barndon fired a long rang shot over the bar and then moments saw a header saved by Mooney. Shortly afterwards Ward drove a shot inches over the bar and moments later his mazy run through the Rovers defence was ended by a foul on the edge of the area. Stuart Wellstead’s resultant thunderous free kick rattled the cross bar.

Despite being on the back foot for large periods of the second half Tanmere continued to pose a threat forcing several corners and drawing to fine saves from man of the match Conkie in the closing minutes.

1874 – Conkie, Mitchell, Duckwoth, Farnworth, Aston, Woolley, Wellstead, Bailey (McGregor 83mins), Brandon, Stewart (Crane 88 mins), Ward. Subs not used Tagoe, Murphy, Bowyer.

TRANMERE – Mooney, Morris, Hopwood, Boland, Holmes. Power, Riley (Newton 72 mins), Rowe, Stockton, Kirby, Baggie. Subs not used Ramsbottom (gk), Gumbs, Maher, Shackleton

Attendance 146


Date Time League Season
Wed 19 Feb 2014 7:45 pm Cheshire Senior Cup 2013/14


Rivacre Park
Rivacre Cottages, Rivacre Rd, Ellesmere Port CH66 1NJ, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Tranmere Rovers101
1874 Northwich000

Item added to cart.
0 items - £0.00