1874 Northwich vs West Auckland Town | 1874 Northwich F.C.

1874 Northwich vs West Auckland Town



By Garry Clarke


1874 Northwich emerged from their month-long lockdown enforced hibernation to have their Wembley dreams shattered by a clinical West Auckland Town outfit.

1874 paid the price for a slow start against Northern League opponents who started the game much quicker and stronger, working hard to frustrate their hosts. Auckland went close to opening the scoring in the 15th minute, Kyle Fryatt won the ball off Jack Irlam, advancing towards goal he was only denied s shooting opportunity by a superbly timed last ditch tackle by Ryan Mitchell.

Auckland made the breakthrough in the 21st minute when captain James Harwood rose highest at a corner to direct his header past Tony Aghayere, going a goal behind seemed to spark 1874 into life as they started to gain a foothold in the game. Lucas Weir split open the Auckland defence with a pass into the path of Aaron Burns, with the goal at his mercy the 1874 debutant saw his shot saved by goalkeeper Jonathon Ball. In the 27th minute Weir whipped a free kick through a packed penalty area, striking the far post the ball rebounded into Ball’s hands.

A minute later the visitors were two up. Conceding a needless free kick in the centre circle 1874 momentarily switched off as in the blink of an eye Auckland took the free kick quickly allowing Jordan Blinco time and space to pick his spot to drill the ball past Aghayere from the edge of the area.

1874 twice went close to halving the deficit, Harry Cain flashed a free kick just wide of the target and Mitchell went close with a header from another Cain free kick, but it was Auckland who scored next.

A minute before half time 1874 surrendered possession in midfield; Auckland broke down the right wing through Fryatt his shot was well saved by Aghayere but the ball fell to Blinco on the edge of the area who curled a delightful shot into the top corner.

Reinvigorated by their managers half time team talk, aided by a couple of tactical changes to their formation 1874 performed much better in the second half although they were lucky not to fall further behind a minute after the restart. Aghayere was forced into a fine save to keep out a Blinco chip after the Auckland man intercepted a weak defensive header.

1874 pulled a goal back in the 52nd minute to offer a slimmer of hope to their fans in the 281 strong Townfield crowd. Ryan Jackson, introduced as a half time substitute, saw his shot deflected wide for a corner from which Matt Woolley turned the ball into the net.
Moments later Ball produced a fine save to deny Parker before Jackson had two shots in quick succession blocked by desperate defenders throwing their bodies in the way of the ball.

Auckland put the game beyond any doubt in the 73rd minute. Fryatt raced unchallenged half the length of the pitch, entering the 1874 penalty area he drew contact from Jackson prompting referee Karl Buckley to point to the penalty spot. Mike Hoganson completed a miserable afternoon for the green and blacks by blasting his spot kick into the roof of the net.


Date Time League Season Attendance
Sat 5 Dec 2020 3:00 pm F.A. Vase 2020/21 281


Townfield Lane
40-42 Townfield Ln, Barnton, Northwich CW8 4LJ, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
1874 Northwich011
West Auckland Town314


RefereeAssistant Referee 1Assistant Referee 2
Karl BuckleyJames OwenDaniel Chadwick

KO 45 52 64 71 85 FT
Item added to cart.
0 items - £0.00