Colne vs 1874 Northwich | 1874 Northwich F.C.

Colne vs 1874 Northwich




This third round tie in the Men United Cup was finally completed at the XLCR Stadium after two previously arranged dates for the game to be played at the Barton Stadium Winsford had fallen foul to the weather.

Almost from the kick off there was a steady rainfall and this continued for the full duration of the game making good football extremely difficult but to their credit both teams competed well to make an entertaining cup tie with the “home” just about deserved winners at the end.

1874 started well and after 5 minutes good work by Ward on the left flank created a chance for Brandon and whilst his strong header beat the keeper a covering defender easily cleared the ball to safety. Then two minutes later some more good work by Ward finished with Daley Woods shooting narrowly wide.

Colne then started to come into the game with Anderson and Boyle both threatening and in the 16th minute they took the lead when 1874 failed to clear the ball and Colne played a few intricate passes to create a chance for JORDAN to score easily from five yards.

The next chance on goal fell to Woods after Chappell had slotted a good ball into his patch but the final shot went narrowly wide of the target. Then on the half hour mark, a poor clearance from an 1874 defender fell to Demaine but his shot was well saved by Conkie but the ball rebounded out to Jordan who should have made it 2-0 but once again Conkie came to his sides’ rescue with a fine low down save.

Colne had another chance to increase their lead in the 36th minute but their free kick was charged down by the 1874 wall and this led to a quick breakaway down field which culminated in WARD levelling the tie with a smart shot into the bottom corner from out on the left.

The sides went in level at half-time but this was after Conkie had made another good save and Jordan was unlucky to see a good effort rebound off a post.

Colne regained the lead in the 52nd minute with a rather fortunate goal. The referee brought play back for a free kick having allowed a good period of advantage and Colne quickly switched the ball out wide to the left and the following cross rebounded off the bar to substitute BARSKI to prod home from 3 yards out.

1874 tried to respond immediately and efforts from Duckworth and Chappell tested the home rearguard but they were up to the challenge until the hour mark when 1874 equalised once again – this time it was WELLSTEAD who finished off a neat move with a pile driver hitting the back of the net from 12 yards out.

The celebrations had hardly subsided before Colne took the lead for the third and final time in the tie. A looses ball was competed for in the centre circle by a number of players but Colne’s star man Danny BOYLE picked up the ball and advanced 30 yards beating a couple of 1874 players before scoring.

1874 therefore had to score again to stay in the competition but try as they did they were unable to conjure up another goal although Short and Woolley both went close but at the other end Conkie again had to be alert to prevent further goals before the referee blew his whistle to end the match and 1874’s involvement in this seasons Men United Cup.

Team: Conkie; Mitchell; Duckworth; McGrath; Thomas; Chappell; Woods; Woolley; Wellstead; Ward and Brandon.

Subs: Short for Thomas – Unused subs: Connor; Tandy and Stewart

Attendance: 105 referee: Richard Holmes


Date Time League Season
Tue 16 Dec 2014 7:45 pm NWCFL League Cup 2014/15


The XLCR Stadium
Holt House, Harrison Dr, Colne BB8 9SF, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
1874 Northwich112

Item added to cart.
0 items - £0.00