Maine Road vs 1874 Northwich | 1874 Northwich F.C.

Maine Road vs 1874 Northwich




2015 started in similar fashion to the end of 2014 for 1874 Northwich FC, dominating possession, missing two penalties and losing to the only goal of the game.

Having lost their last three games in 2014, 1874 kicked off the New Year determined to get back to winning ways. Playing at a high tempo, 1874 enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges playing several dangerous balls into their opponent’s area before in the 11th minute Lee Duckworth fired in a long range free kick which Road’s impressive goalkeeper Ryan Livesey tipped onto and over the bar.

Eight minutes later Steve Foster set Stuart Wellstead away down the left wing, as he entered the penalty area he was felled by Mike Shenton. On his first return to Brantingham Road in his new colours, Maine Road’s all time record goal scorer Neil Chappell blasted the spot kick over the bar.

1874 switched off defensively for a moments allowing the home side to take the lead against the run of play in the 28th minute. A well worked corner kick found its way to Connor Hughes on the edge of the 1874 area; Road’s leading scorer rifled a shot through a packed penalty area giving Matt Conkie no chance.

1874 worked hard attempting to get back on level terms before the half time break. Daley Woods hit the bar with an in swinging corner, Matty Ward had a shot deflected wide and Chappell shot inches wide from distance.

1874 continued to push forward in search of an equaliser in the second half. Woods headed a Wellstead cross onto the bar in the 50th minute, five minutes later he flashed a shot across the goal. On the hour mark Woods ended a run down the right wing with a cross along the six yard line which none of his team mates could get on the end of with the goal open.

Throughout the game a well organised Maine Road team who defended well were always dangerous on the break went close to adding to their tally several times in the second half as they broke quickly to exploit space left at the back as 1874 attacks were thwarted.

Matt Woolley had a powerful header from a corner saved by Livesey, who in the 80th minute brought down Foster forcing referee Peter Sporne to award 1874 their second penalty of the game. After a lengthy delay during which players from both teams indulged in a bout of pushing and shoving which saw Road’s Shenton sent off, captain Duckworth stepped forward to take the penalty, which was saved by Livesey.

As the game entered stoppage time Livesey parried a long range shot into the path of Foster who bundled it into the net, however the goal was disallowed as Foster had inadvertently controlled the ball with his hand as he was sliding in.

In the closing minutes Dave Short fired a shot over the bar from the edge of the area and Ryan Stewart had a powerfully struck shot turned behind by a fine save from Livesey as Maine Road held on to take all three points from an entertaining encounter.

MAINE ROAD- Livesey, Tinker, Flynn (Hulme 78mins), Shenton, Mason, Struminskyj, Breslin, Langford, Burke (Alexander 72mins), Hughes (Roe ht), Morgan. Sub not used- Harper.

1874- Conkie, Mitchell, Stewart, Duckworth, Thomas, Chappell (Short 77mins), Woods (Connor 60mins), Woolley, Foster, Ward, Wellstead (Brandon 60mins). Subs not used – Crofts, McGrath.

GOAL – Maine Road Connor Hughes 28 ATTENDANCE 226 REFEREE – Peter Sporne


Date Time League Season
Sat 3 Jan 2015 3:00 pm NWCFL Premier Division 2014/15


Brantingham Road
328 Wilbraham Rd, Manchester M21 0UX, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Maine Road101
1874 Northwich000

Item added to cart.
0 items - £0.00