St Helens Town vs 1874 Northwich | 1874 Northwich F.C.

St Helens Town vs 1874 Northwich




1874 returned to winning ways with a comprehensive victory at Brocstedes Park and in doing so another little piece of “1874 history” was created as two brothers played together for the club and Matt and Joe Woolley both scored!

All video clips courtesy of 1874TV

Although there had been a mid afternoon pitch inspection the game went ahead and in all honesty the ground did allow both sides to try and play good football and this made for an interesting encounter and one that resulted in 1874’s following not being able to feel too confident until captain, Matt Woolley scored his sides’ fourth goal in the 89th minute.

Manager, Ian Street, was delighted to have Matt Beadle back in the squad as the striker hadn’t figured since the 2nd of December because of injury and he lined up alongside Chris Lunn who himself was making his first start of the season although he had made a few substitute appearances recently.

In truth, the two strikers combined well together and were a constant threat to the home defenders.

The first real action of the game came in the 7th minute when Beadle had the ball in the net after good work by Ryan Stewart but a late linesman’s flag put paid to the celebrations and then after more good work by Stewart, Chappell shot wide when well placed.

However, 1874 deservedly went in front in the 20th minute when the determination of Chappell in and then just out of the area resulted in him being able to send a perfect deep cross back into the danger area to allow Danny Thomas to head home for his third goal of the season.

Four minutes later and it was another 1874 attacking defender, Ryan Mitchell, who was on hand in the area to increase the lead by stabbing the ball home from 3 yards following an excellent cross from play maker Matty Ward.

1874 had now got a grip of the game and further goals looked likely especially when Chappell hit a pile driver just over the bar from twenty yards after being found in space again by Ward. Next the two strikers combined well and Beadle created chance for Lunn but his effort was well saved by the keeper at the expense of another corner.

It was after 35 minutes that the home side created their first real chance but Richardson’s shot was easily saved by Conkie

Just before the interval Crowther, in the St Helens goal, produced his best save of the half when he denied Chappell by diving full length to his right to push a 20 yard screamer away for a corner

At the start of the second half St Helens created the first half – chance when Bell was only just thwarted thanks to a fine last-ditch tackle by Danny Thomas and from his clearance 1874 very nearly increased their lead after good work by Beadle presented Lunn with a chance but once again the home keeper saved well.

Then just before the hour mark a bizarre incident presented St Helens with a “gift” to put them back into the game. An 1874 defender played a normal run-of-the-mill pass back to keeper Conkie expecting him to clear up field but as is his want on occasions, Conkie decided that he would dummy, feint one way then the other and so beat the onrushing opponent before clearing. All of that “went well” but as another attacker approached Conkie decided that, rather than just hoofing the ball up field he would try the same “trick” again but this time it went terribly wrong as he was dispossessed by Kristian Bell who then simply hit the ball 30 yards into the empty net to put his side “back in the game!”

Obviously this was a big blow to 1874 who from being reasonably comfortably in the driving seat suddenly had a real banana skin to face.

Clearly they needed another goal to settle them down and this nearly came ten minutes later but Chappell’s excellent drive from 20 yards went narrowly wide of the target. Then Chris Lunn saw two good efforts both charged down in the area. After 70 minutes and an impressive shift put in Lunn was replaced by debutant Joe Woolley.

Soon after Matt Woolley played a great ball from one touchline to the other to find Connor who subsequently produced a delightful chip into the area and the path of Beadle who saw his strong shot well saved.

After 74minutes Joe Woolley showed what he was all about as some trickery on the left flank saw him beat two defenders before he advanced and shot from a narrow angle but again Crowther saved well at the expense of another corner.

With quarter of an hour remaining Beadle was replaced by Wellstead who was immediately involved as he and Stewart carved out an opportunity for Joe Woolley but his shot hit the keeper and went for a corner.

Still 1874 continued to press forward and after 81 minutes the goal that their persistence deserved finally came and it was “new boy” Woolley who was on hand four yards out to head the ball into the net from an excellent free kick by Stewart.

A minute later and supporters were treated to an amazing “Messi type run” from Matty Ward who beat five defenders with consummate ease but his goal bound shot was deflected for a corner and so deny the skill from being a “goal of the season contender”

With just one minute left the fourth 1874 goal came and it was a beauty from Matt Woolley who struck the ball hard and low from 25 yards that quickly flashed past the outstretched hands of the keeper before nestling very nicely in the bottom corner of the net.

So in the end a comprehensive victory to get 1874 back on track for the difficult but mouth-watering games ahead.

Team: Conkie; Connor; Duckworth; Mitchell; Thomas; Chappell; Matt Woolley; Lunn; Beadle; Ward and Stewart.

Goals: Thomas (20); Mitchell (24); Joe Woolley (81) and Matt Woolley (89)

Subs: Wellstead for Beadle (77) Joe Woolley for Lunn (70) and Josh Crofts for Connor (86)

Referee: David Fisher – Attendance 127


Date Time League Season
Tue 24 Feb 2015 7:45 pm NWCFL Premier Division 2014/15


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
St Helens Town1
1874 Northwich224

KO 70 86 FT
Item added to cart.
0 items - £0.00